Need some advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice please

My oh's tree is proving a bit of a nightmare, I have gone back no problems but coming forwards where the mysteries are is a no no:(

Here is Rogers Fathers name change deed poll

JBee kindly found Emmie Burgess & Percy Burgess in Sutton Coldfield electoral rolls for 1945 & 1948 - though what Percy was doing there in 1948 is a mystery as he married in Wilmslow Cheshire in 1945!!!

I last have Emma Burgess living in Saltersly Common, Mobberley Cheshire 1923 when Percys brother Leslie was born, so from 1923 - 1945...... somehow the family acquired the name Stanley ( Emma's husband Benjamin Burgess was commited to the infirmy Knutsford, Cheshire until his death in 1939-when he went into hospital is also a mystery and where) we would love to find out who Stanley was etc, does anyone know where the Electoral rolls for Cheshire are kept please???? this is the only thing I can think of, can anyone suggest anything else, any help appreciated x

Not what you are looking for, I know, but quite interesting:

Florence M Burgess to
    William Stanley
    1924 St Helen, Witton, Northwich.

OC

Comment

Hi OC thanks, yes interesting, but Emma was not free to marry again until Benjamin died in 1939, she then went on to marry Thomas Cowman in 1946 dist: Meriden Warks.

Emma Chesters b1892 Handforth Cheshire, married Benjamin Burgess 17/8/1914

was a Burgess right up until 1946 when she married Tom Cowman.

Comment

Going out for a while will be back later xx

Comment

Cheshire Archives have the infirmary records:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records Database | Welcome
          The National Archives | Search the archives | ARCHON Directory | Repository Details

Might be worth e-mailing them to see if the records have survived, and if they can be released.

Comment

Any idea what Percy did during the war? The deed poll was signed right at the end of the war in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by FenTiger View Post
              JBee kindly found Emmie Burgess & Percy Burgess in Sutton Coldfield electoral rolls for 1945 & 1948
              Was he listed as Burgess or Stanley? He should have been listed as Stanley, at least in 1948.

Comment

Hi Mary

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look for the infirmary records and follow that up...

I asked oh what Percy did in the war, and all he can remember is that he was in the Coldstream Guards and apparently earned a battlefield commission to the rank of Major - how true that is - nobody knows!!

In the 1948 Electoral roll he was listed as Burgess, but it was a tied cottage I think it was just a case of not taking his name off the electoral roll as he was well and truly married in 1945 to Lily (who turned out to be adopted - oh joy!!!!!)
                Last edited by FenTiger; 16-06-08, 14:48.

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking Emma and Florence might have been sisters. Florence married a Stanley and maybe Emma took up with his brother.

OC

Comment

Mary

I searched the database A2A for the Infirmary, Bexton Rd, Knutsford, but it came back as NO results:(

Benjamin died on the 21/4/1939 aged 48 years oooh just realised that in the occupation column his address is given as 11 new st, Wilmslow Cheshire, so do I assume that Emma was living at that address in 1939???

Comment

Hi OC

I thought the same and rushed off to check Emma's siblings, but alas no florence

Comment

This is the result I got:

Knutsford and District Community Hospital
                        Previous name(s)
                        Cranford Lodge Hospital, Knutsford Workhouse
                        Public Assistance Infirmary

Address
                        Bexton Road Knutsford WA16 0ED

Previous location

Foundation Year
                        c1885

Closed
                        No

Records can be found at:
                        Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies

Comment

Thanks Mary, I am going round in circles and having senior moments with this one, Many thanks will follow it up if I can xxx

Comment

These are the records they hold, so you may be in luck:

Record type Date range

Administrative
                            1844 - 1967

General
                            1844 - 1955

Admission & Discharge
                            1898 - 1967

Clinical & Patients
                            1907 - 1956

Comment

DURHHH! thick or what? Why would MRS Emma Burgess have a sister called Florence Burgess??

I'm going for a little lie down.

OC

Comment

Your husband could get his father's service record. Costs £30, I believe.

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans

Comment

LOL, OC

Fen, do you have Percy's birth certificate? And do you know anything about Benjamin's WW1 service?

If not, try the Medal Cards, Service Records and Pension Records on Ancestry. I was just wondering where Benjamin was in 1916-17.

Comment

Mary , yes I have Percys Birth cert, and no - know nothing at all about Benjamin Burgess apart from the fact that he was not talked about in the family when they were alive as he was a 'secret' he died from - cerebral sylphilis which was rife in that area in that time zone!!

There is a Benjamin Burgess in Ancestry WW1 but no way of knowing if it is Rogers Grandfather or not!!!!

Comment

There was one with the right age born in London, if I remember rightly. Do you know his birthplace?

I assume Benjamin's named as Percy's father on his birth cert? I was just speculating on who the mysterious Stanley might have been.

Comment

mary here is percy's birth cert all Burgess were born in Cheshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X