Times archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times archive

For an unspecified period of time, The Times archive 1785-1985 is available for free. This will be welcome news for those unable to gain access to the archive through their library or university (Gale International).

The archive can be searched on Times Archive . Registration is required to view the extracts. It is not known how long it will remain free, so grab it while you can.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

As a matter of interest, the Gale free trial is still going, so it's currently available on both sites.

Comment

Ah, thanks Mary, I'd forgotten that. Well it's there in case Gale stops access.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Oooh - I heard this on the radio this morning as I was driving to work. It was a programme that's sponsored by the times and they were giving it a big plug.

They said "available online for the first time ever"

I felt like ringing up and telling them they're liars
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I keep getting "FILE NOT FOUND (FNF)" for each match on my usual Times Digital Archive access. (It does the search o.k. and lists the results, but then instead of showing me the image for each entry I get that error message)
          Is this happening to anybody else?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Getting the same Kate. :(
            Elaine

Comment

It worked fine when I first tried it, but it was timing out last night. Haven't tried today.
              Maybe there are too many people trying to access it.

Comment

I think Kate was referring to her normal access, not this link.
                Result pages are coming up with the normal heading, i.e. issue date, page, column etc. but typed across in big red letters are the words FILE NOT FOUND
                Elaine

Comment

I have registered and am now awaiting a confirmation e-mail. Nearly 1/2 hour now!
                  I had put my granddads name in and the years i wanted and it says they have 4 articles. Am so frustrated with waiting!!!!
                  Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

Thank you - I've just registered and waiting for the confirmation email...

Comment

Hope you are not waiting as long as i have.
                      Still no sign!!!GGRRrrr
                      Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

I've managed to register and log in, and found some articles, but when I print them I just get blank pages!
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I wonder if, having set up their own archive now, they've removed permission for the one from Gale
                          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

The Times link from the Gale Trial is certainly behaving oddly this morning - sometimes I get to the article and sometimes I am asked for my library ID ...
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                              I wonder if, having set up their own archive now, they've removed permission for the one from Gale

No, it's working normally for me.

Muggins, did you mean you registered for the Gale trial or the Times site?

I haven't registered with the Times site, so I can't test that one. If the images aren't printing, try right-clicking and copying the image to a program like Paint.

Comment

I meant the Times site, Mary (the Gale one keeps freezing!)

I'll try what you suggest (later on as I have to go out now)

Thank you
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X