National Probate Calender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Probate Calender

Thanks to Mary......I know I need to look at the Nationial Probate Calender for wills post 1858.

Does anyone know how I'd do that from Australia?

I'm looking for possible wills for Lucretia Ariel and Mary Eyre Ariel both from Bristol.

Wondering if Bristol RO would know....I don't mind emailing.

Not all Record Offices have the Probate Calender.

You can get the York Probate Office to do a search for £5, but you don't get your money back if they don't find a will, so if anyone happens to be going to a Record Office that holds the Probate Calender, perhaps they could do you a look-up.

Full details here:

Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

If a will is found in the Probate Calender, then you can send off to York for it; that's the usual place, but I understand the Cardiff probate office is quicker (York takes several weeks to send wills).

Comment

Libby, if you can hang on for two or three weeks then I can look it up for you next time I get to the record office - if you know when they died. If you apply to York straight away then you will have to wait several weeks to get the wills anyway, so I would think it is worth waiting to find out whether there is an entry or not before sending off your money.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This may seem like a daft question but I've always assumed that most of my forebears did not make wills (unless they were members of the armed forces).

How do you find out ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Libby

I know the local family history association in Townsville has the Probate Index on microfiche 1858-1942 (I've searched it).

Have you checked with GSQ or the Family History Society in Brisbane ?

Vivian

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
            This may seem like a daft question but I've always assumed that most of my forebears did not make wills (unless they were members of the armed forces).

How do you find out ?

Rachel, you can either apply to York for a search, but that costs £5 even if they find nothing, or go to a record office or probate office which has the calendar and search it yourself - as explained on that Wiki page.

Also, don't forget that findmypast has the Index to Death Duties Register, so you can do a search on that to see if there is an entry.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner...that would be great.

Vivien....no I haven't. Wonder if they'll do it via letter or phone. I can't travel easily.

I'll check it out.

I have a death for one, but so far not the other. I'm still trawling.

Comment

Thanks KR
                That's given me food for thought

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Libby, when / if you find the other death, send me a PM with the details for both if you would like me to look them up.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Harry's Mum,

Just came across this forum while doing my own research. It's probably a bit late and I hope you found all you were looking for but just in case you are still looking, here's a couple of sites that helped me...

UK Probate Court Finder

and

The National Will Database who have a list of executors for a few people in the UK going back a long time. You may be lucky and find the executor for Lucretia or Mary.

Good luck.

Tim

Comment

Welcome Tim......that's very knid to make your first post a helping one.

I have found wills for both Lucretia and Mary, although I bought only Mary's as she is the line I was following.

It all turned out to be much more interesting than I ever imagined.

I have added the sites to my favourites.

Comment

No probs. I'm glad you found the information you were looking for. I'm helping my father-in-law with family tree research and that is never ending..... unless we reach Adam/Eve or Apes!

Comment

I have just tried to access FMP Index to Death Duties - dismal failure!
                            I have the Explorer package and am wondering if they require an upgrade to view?

Do you know?
                            fortuna

Comment

This link should show you what is included in the different subscriptions:
                              Family history records subscriptions at Findmypast.com

Explorer is the top sub, so you can't require an upgrade from it. What exactly happened when you tried to access the Index to Death Duties Register?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Hi,
                                Some pages gave me the opportunity to choose the page and click Go but then a blank white screen and "Done" in the bottom left corner.
                                I haven't checked yet but I thought there was a higher grade - will have another look,
                                fortuna

Comment

Yes, you're right Explorer is the highest and it's working now!

Thanks for your thoughts,
                                  fortuna

Comment

Working...
                                  X