No announcement yet.

Maybe its because they were Londoners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe its because they were Londoners?

Husband has lots of brothers/sisters marrying other brothers/sisters, but only in his London lot.

I have a couple of cousin marriages, one in Norfolk and one in Warwickshire, and a father & son marrying an aunt and niece.

But husband has several siblings, aunts, uncles etc in one family marrying into another. Often the bigger families, the eldest child marries an uncle/aunt and the younger ones marry the nephew/niece.

I would have thought London would offer more scope to find a spouse and that there'd be more of this in the countryside where there are fewer partners and families to choose from, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Oooh, my OH has that too. A small group in London where one or other spouse from each couple died early and they all move round one and marry the next person - then when the next spouse died the remaining ones turned round three times with their eyes shut and married whoever was three places to their left!! One moved out to Southampton, but his sons went back to London to marry from within the same group.......It seems really wierd to me!

It's because of this bunch that one of my "famous" comments came about:

There is a strong possibility that Robert Lewis Packer, the second husband of Mary Bush nee Crawley (mother of Mary Ann Bush) is the brother of Hephzibah Packer, who, at her second marriage became the second wife of James Beard, the father of John Beard (by his first wife), who in turn was the second husband of Mary Ann Bush. Mary Ann was Robert Lewis Packer's stepdaughter and her first husband was Robert William Cotton, son of William Cotton (brushmaker) and Emma Packer. Also, as William Cotton and Emma Packer named their second son John Hazel Cotton, it is possible that Emma was related to Hephzibah, as Hephzibah's father was named Robert Hazel Packer? Maybe Hephzibah Packer, Robert Lewis Packer and Emma Packer were all siblings, the children of Robert Hazel Packer??

I used to know what it meant!! lol

Comment

Clear as mud, Merry!

I wonder if its because living in London where it was more overcrowded, it seemed safer to marry from the family next door/downstairs/across the road, than venture further afield? You'd know more about the family circumstances.

In a country village everyone knew everyone else's business anyway, in the city there were more strangers to beware of.

Husband also has a large proportion of London relatives who don't appear to have died?!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        Husband also has a large proportion of London relatives who don't appear to have died?!

Shipped out a long way to large cemeteries??

Comment

I have a little conclave of ancestors and relations intermarrying in Islington in the early C20th. The relationships between them get quite confusing and when they weren't intermarrying, the electoral rolls show living in the same houses as various connections.

London ancestors rarely die in my experience. And are almost never buried.
          Asa

Comment

Merry

I'm sure they're buried, lol. Just can't find flippin' death certs. Though of course, as son says, I know they're dead anyway.

Comment

It's often said the bigger the place you live the more lonely. There are what 6 million 7 million people in London but yet if you smile at someone on the tube they look at you like your an escaped maniac!

I went on holiday to Devon a few years back and a freind of mine, also from London area, from carribean background, came with me. He's keen on long walks scenery , but said he could never get peace as the locals were all stopping him for a chat and a little old lady, alone, even stopped her car and offered him a lift. He was amazed as living in London he'd got more used to people crossing the streets in terror at the sight of someone young and black..he really was quite taken a back by the difference!

Anyway point I was making is a lot of my London ancestors did much the same, married cousins and same few local families, I think because yes theres many more people, but then as now those people rarely ventured far out of their own few streets, its insular and territorial in the extreme, much the same today really when you think of it. There's young boys from a few streets apart literally killing eachother because they have different post codes, absolutely crazy but true. One parish might as well be a different city from the next, and south and North of the river are foreign lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                and south and North of the river are foreign lands.
                Which brings me to another Q.

Why did so many of OH's rellies live north of the Thames but marry at St Mary's in Lambeth??

Comment

Perhaps it was to do with the type of service, maybe it was high church or low church. Or perhaps they liked the excursion across the river.

Comment

the Robins example

James & Priscilla Robins had 12 children.

child no. 6, Jane Elizabeth Robins married Abraham Carlier.child no. 11, Reuben Robins, married Abraham's niece Charlotte Carlier.

Abraham Carlier died and Jane Elizabeth married Charles George Casbard and then a year later, youngest Robins child, Harriet married Charles' son by his previous marriage, William Casbard.

And then there are the Sellers girls!
                    Sarah Matilda Sellers married William Ehn
                    Eve Sellers married Charles Ehn, William's brother
                    Amelia Sellers married William Marsden
                    Matilda Sellers [given same 1st name as elder sister] married Lewis Marsden, William M's brother

Then Eve died and William Marsden died, so Charles and Amelia married each other to keep it all tidy!
                    Last edited by Little Nell; 17-06-08, 19:27.

Comment

Working...
                    X