Any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions?

When my ggg grandmother Mary Smith ms Hollinger died in 1879 her daughter Margaret gave Mary's parents names as John Hollinger weaver and Mary (no maiden surname).

When Margaret herself was born in 1856, a Betsy Hollinger registered the birth and although the image is unclear, I'm certain it says she is the baby's aunt. When Betsy dies in 1891, her son gives her parents names as Joseph Hollinger, linen weaver and Susan Younger.

Betsy is a lodger in 1841 and 1851. I can only find one Mary Hollinger in 1841 aged 10 and in Dundee, in the household of Joseph (Holingar), hand loom weaver. Also in the household are David 20, John, Margaret and Joseph all aged 5. On various certificates, David, John and Joseph's parents are named as Joseph and Margaret, ms Tarrant. Joseph and David were born in Ireland and Betsy's birthplace is variously given as Ireland and Dundee.

I can only find the following children for Mary herself - Mary bc1853, Margaret b 1856, Robina Jane b1861 and Betsy b1864 so from this Margaret would seem a likely name for Mary's mother.

I can't find a marriage for Betsy, although at her death she is described as the widow of Samuel Johnston and Mary married in 1847 so I have no clues there.

I realise it's quite possible that Betsy and Mary's children wouldn't know the names of their grandparents and that Betsy and Mary were daughters of Joseph and Margaret Tarrant, given that they were born after their deaths but I'm not sure if I'm making too many guesses because I can't find any other information.
    Asa

Asa

as the saying goes, "opinions are like belly buttons, everyone's got one and they're not worth much"!

I agree that it's possible that the informants of deaths might not have their facts straight, but I'm not sure how you can prove or disprove these relationships. Baptism records are the obvious idea but I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about things north of the border.

Hope someone versed in Scots genealogy can help you.

I thought of you when I was at the LMA yesterday - but instead of running into you I ran into Phoenix!!!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post

I can only find the following children for Mary herself - Mary bc1853, Margaret b 1856, Robina Jane b1861 and Betsy b1864 so from this Margaret would seem a likely name for Mary's mother.

If she followed the traditional Scottish naming pattern, then Mary should be the name of Mary's mother, and Margaret the name of Mary's husband's mother. But by this time a lot of families didn't follow the pattern so closely.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Nell : ) I was down the road in Clerkenwell yesterday morning but just meeting Jean for coffee. I'll be there again soon

There seems to be a problem with the Dundee baptisms for the period - the batch is there but eg there are no baptisms in the batch for 1854. Although one of the sons of Joseph and Margaret Tarrant married in an RC church so they may have originally been RC.

KiteRunner, I had it in my head that the first daughter was for the mother and the second for the mother's mother so thanks for that. As you say, it was less used by then but I can't identify Mary's (seemingly erstwhile)husband on any census at all so that doesn't help much.

Stumped again for the time being: )
        Asa

Comment

Asa

Struggle with something else and then come back and look again - it'll hopefully be easier.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think I should Nell but I've run out of straightforward lines lol. Think I'll venture back to OH's tree ;-)
            Asa

Comment

Working...
            X