ROSE MILTON
    Christening: 07 APR 1837 Saint Luke Old Street, Finsbury
    Age at Christening: 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARY ROADS
    Christening: 21 APR 1837 Saint Luke Old Street, Finsbury
    Age at Christening: 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I happened to find their baptisms in the microfilmed parish registers at the LMA today whilst looking for something else.
    Rose was abandoned by her in a lodging house in Milton Street, and she was estimated to be about 7 weeks.

Mary was even less fortunate - or perhaps luckier in being rescued - she was found "deserted" in City Road, estimated age 3 weeks.

So neither of these girls was aged 1 at their christening and they were both given surnames reflecting their origin. A thought, should you discover an ancestor with an odd name that doesn't seem to tie in with anything.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Is that Rose Milton working at the St Lukes Infant Establishment in 1861?

Comment

......and she's a servant in a household in Crown Alley, Edmonton with a lot of nurse-children in 1851.

Comment

Tee hee. I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist following this up - might have guessed it would be you, Merry.

I wonder if Mary Roads changed her name to Rhodes?

Fancy being named after the fact you were dumped in the street! Poor mite!

Comment

I think Rose married John Boyden (carpenter) in 1864 and though I can't find them in 1871, by 1881 they had 6 living children

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Fancy being named after the fact you were dumped in the street! Poor mite!

It's so sad....:o

Pity they couldn't go for a more imaginative first name than Mary :(

Comment

Yes, I wonder how they arrived at first names, maybe after members of staff, or the nearest saints day? Or perhaps they had an a-z of names and either went through them systematically and started again, or just put a pin in.

Comment

Oh, Rose's husband was a nurse child himself in 1851 (aged 8)....

Probably not abandoned at birth though, as there are three Boyden children in the household. John was an apprentice carpenter by the 1861.

Comment

Yes, I wonder how they arrived at first names, maybe after members of staff, or the nearest saints day? Or perhaps they had an a-z of names and either went through them systematically and started again, or just put a pin in.
                  Goodness knows, but there were so many abandoned children they probably didn't spend a lot of time choosing.

Comment

I know an elderly man where I live who was an abandoned baby. He was given the surname of our village and christian name of the policeman who was called to take him to the orphanage. There were a lot of 'big houses' in the area and he assumes his mother was a servant in one of them who 'got into trouble' as he put it.
                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

So sad though.

Comment

Re-visiting the "Found" TV series the other week, I thought it very cruel of the Foundling Hospital to deliberately rename children whose original name was known.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Or perhaps they had an a-z of names and either went through them systematically and started again, or just put a pin in.
                          Like they do with hurricanes??
                          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Re-visiting the "Found" TV series the other week, I thought it very cruel of the Foundling Hospital to deliberately rename children whose original name was known.
                            I have been to the AGM at the foundling Hospital Today, Uncle John. I actually met with a lady who was given her names thus...

A local Dr was a hospital sponsor, and was given the task of naming this child. he gave her the first name of his wife, and the surname was that of the name of his house.

I am not sure that the Thomas Coram foundling hospital really did rename children who 'had' a name. A true foundling was just that . Found with no identification at all. I wonder why they did, if they did. I'll ask when I am there again in October.

My grandfather worked for the Thomas Coram foundling hospital for many years, and my Aunt married a foundling.
                            Jess

Comment

I do know that some workhouses had an A-Z list of first names - A-z for girls, Z-A for boys.

In the very early years, the surname would be that of the parish or town, to ever remind the child what a debt of gratitude he owed the place.

OC

Comment

That might account for the outlandish names one finds sometimes, amidst all the Johns and Marys!

Comment

How sad! :(
                                  I’m no genealogist …
                                  Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                                  ;)

Comment

Working...
                                  X