Please can anyone date this photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone date this photo?

I was emailed this picture a while ago and neither the person who scanned it or I have any idea who it is but the gent certainly looks like "one of ours". The men in our family have a very distinctive set to their head and shoulders and the very wide forehead. If we can date the picture it will give us an idea of who to eliminate.
    Thanks

Cath.

The boys clothes are similar - jacket, knickerbockers and shoes. This photo was taken about 1906. I think yours could be a little earlier though. Hope the photo uploads - first attempt!
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks Carole - I was hoping someone would say it was before 1895. That way it could possibly be my grandfather with his first wife. The lady is def. not my grandmother who came on the scene in 1901.
      Cath.

Comment

Well, it could be earlier than mine

Look here in the 1897 section under "Anon. [three children and a dog outside...)

there is a boy wearing a similar type of outfit. Might be worth seeing what children were wearing earlier too

Victorian Photographs by Year
        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

There does appear to be a hint of a puffing to the upper sleeving on the woman's bodice and if this is the case then I would place this study as having been taken sometime between 1893 and 1897 when the gigot sleeve was in fashion. The jackets that the boys on the left of the picture are wearing are versions of the adult Norfolk Jacket. This garment first came into men's fashion in the late 1860's in the form of a Norfolk Shirt which was also then known as a Norfolk Blouse and was used mainly for shooting or in the pursuit of walking in the countryside. By the late 1870's early 1880's the Norfolk shirt/blouse was now being termed as a Jacket with pockets in the breast pleats as well as having waist pockets, by the mid 1880's the Norfolk Jacket was becoming more popular and was increasing in favour being worn not only for the above mentioned activities but also in the use of the new past time of bicycling. In the first decade of the new century one could purchase a full Norfolk suit for an eight year old for between 17/6 and 24/0 and for a ten year old the price was between 19/6 and 26/0.

don

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            Cath.

Comment

i would think 1880 with the nicker bockers and the girls high boots brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
              X