Looking for a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a death

I am hoping to order the death cert for my gg grandfather Samuel Clarke & but am not sure I have the right death & would apprciate your opinions. He was born c1815, Great Ellingham Norfolk & was there from 1841-1871. I have him in 1881 with his daughter Mary Ann & her husband, Walter Rennie, in Hackney, his birth being given as 1812. I have found a death in Hackney in 1886 with the birth year being 1814 & Clark being spelt without the "e". Does this look like the right one?
    Many thanks
    Lynn

How many Samuel Clark/es were born 1814/5, who could die in Hackney?

The problem is that you don't know what is on the cert to use as a checking point. He might not have died at the 1881 address, he might have been given a different occupation from the one you expect and you don't know whether his death was registered by his daughter or son in law or someone else.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If he isn't on the next census and there are no other possible deaths, I'd guess this is the right one.

Comment

I haven't found him on the 1891, he is certainly not with his daughter or sons. he isn't showing as having an occupation in 1881, but previously had been an ag lab. His son in law died in 1885, so he wouldn't have registered the death
        Lynn

Comment

I've found another Samuel Clark in 1881, in Hackney, born Southwark, but I think I have him in 1891 in Mile End workhouse, so hopefully the death is the right one
          Lynn

Comment

Yahoo! The cert arrived today, the day before it was due to be despatched & it is the right one! He died in the Hackney Union Infirmary & his death was registered by the steward there, which would explain the mis spelling of his surname & the incorrect age, BUT he is is listed as being a labourer & the address given is the same one that he had been living at in the 1881 census, 5 years earlier. I am so pleased that I took the risk & ordered it.
            Lynn

Comment

Well done, Lynn!

Comment

Lynn

So pleased for you. My grandfather died in Hackney infirmary and he was born in Norfolk too! His great grandmother was born in Ellingham.

Comment

Ooer Nell, that is spooky!
                  Lynn

Comment

Well I suppose Stoke N is a likely place to go to if coming from Norfolk. Not sure where the trains went to in those days.

Curiously, when my grandfather first came to London he was lodging in a house in a road almost opposite one where my husband's great-grandparents were living. Neither husband nor me lived in that area, husband born West London and me in North East Surrey.

Comment

It was only his daughter that ended up in Hackney, his son's lived in Battersea
                      Lynn

Comment

Congratulations on a good bit of deduction!

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. I don't have a lot of spare cash for certs & can't afford to get wrong ones, so it was a relief to see that it was right.
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X