Bankruptcy in 1820

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy in 1820

I am going through the file for my 3xgt grandfather NEWBOURN WOOD, originally from Scotton in Lincolnshire, but settled in Gosport Hampshire.

I have the following from a newspaper dated 2nd September 1820:

“Whereas the acting Commissioners in a Commission of Bankrupt awarded and issued forth against John Flint Godden and Newburn Wood, of Gosport, in the County of Southampton, Copartners, Mercers, Drapers, Dealers and Chapmen, have certified to the Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain, that the said Newbourn Wood hath in all things conformed himself according to the directions of the several Acts of Parliament made concerning Bankrupts; This is to give notice, that, by virtue of an Act passed in the Fifth Year of the Reign His late Majesty King George the Second, and also of another Act passed in the Forty-ninth Year of the Reign of His late Majesty King George the Third, his Certificate will be allowed and confirmed as the said Acts direct, unless cause be shewn to the contrary on or before the 23d day of September instant."

Does anyone know the procedure that they are mentioning here? I'm not quite sure of the significance of it.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I CAUTIOUSLY imagine that this would be his certificate of discharge from bankruptcy.

I mean, you'd hardly want a certificate to confirm you were a bankrupt.

OC

Comment

OC, that's what I thought might be the case as he carried on as a Linen Draper until his death in 1834.

I was wondering how I would find out about the "several Acts of Parliament made concerning bankrupts".

He married in 1821 to a woman from a reasonably well-to-do family.

It was rather sad, they had 6 children, 4 of whom died before their fourth birthdays. I have the burial records for them.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I tend to agree with OC. You can sometimes follow the story of a bankruptcy through the local paper if it's in the Gale archive. And you might find this one in the London Gazette if the archive goes back far enough.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I believe this was from the London Gazette.

I have just found the following:

"Creditors petioned the Lord Chancellor who issued a Commision of Bankruptcy requiring the debtor to surrender himself and his property to a commissioner. The commission was advertised in the London Gzette so that creditors could attend meetings and elect an assignee to collect the debtor's goods and value his estate. Creditors gave affidavits or depositions about their claims. A debtor might have sufficient assets to pay his creaditors (or he might reach a settlement with them). If not he could be declared a bandrupt."
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth, the online London Gazette archive has two references:

Issue 17630 (2 Sep 1820) and Issue 17642 (14 Oct 1820).

I haven't looked at them (they are downloadable PDF files).
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, Uncle John, I have them both.

I was rather intrigued to know the procedure followed in the event of bankruptcy, and I have learnt a lot more today by looking at various reference books etc.

It's easy to google "Newbourn Wood" - I wish more of my forefathers had unusual Christian names!

I have also gone off on a tangent by trying to follow the line in Scotton Lincolnshire. Another visit to the Lincolnshire Archives on the cards.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
              X