Finding my grandfather - help with reading part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding my grandfather - help with reading part 1

This is part of what I imagine could be a major long term project - trying to establish once and for all exactly who my mum's father is.

It's full of complications like my grandmother telling huge fibs on the birth certificate, a wedding to a refugee after WW2 and............ crikey loads more.

But I'm starting with this - deciphering names mentioned in my Mum's baby book.

So, first two images - trying to work out the surnames of her two young playmates called Robert and Nicolas

When we've figured this out we can start on exactly what on earth my grandmother was playing at with the civil registrations

Cheers in advance

Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Well, it looks like Leuzer!

Presuming all these children lived near your grandmother, would it be worth looking for their parents on the electoral roll??

Erm....of course we are not allowed to post the names of living people........

*waits to be slapped*

Comment

Lovely book and the writing is really easy to read except for that surname :o It looks like Louzer or perhaps Touzer, which after a quick google does at least seems to exist as a surname

Comment

Have just showed OH and he reads Leuzer like Merry

Comment

Thinking aloud: does it start with an L or a T? It's the same shape both times but not quite like the T in (Kevin) Tierney.

My first guess is Leuzer (and I posted after the others so I didn't copy miss).
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Leuzer or possibly Leuzen.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's a beautiful book. Beautifully written and you can feel the amount of love Nan had for Mum just pouring off the page. Mum hates getting it out and reading it so I tend to have to wait until she's away to sneak it out of the cupboard.

Some of it's really quite poignant. My Nan died when Mum was 7 years old from cancer. The book stops when Mum is about 5 but in several places she prays to god that she will have the strength and courage to raise into womanhood as well as God makes her able. Comments that were well before she would have known she had cancer.
              Zoe in London

Comment

But not much for Leuzer on ancestry!

marriage: Becky Leuzer 1906 Jul-Aug-Sep
                Mile End Old Town Volume: 1c Page: 765

birth: Frank Charles Leuzer 1890 Apr-May-Jun
                Lambeth Volume: 1d Page: 295

Interestingly, both have alternative index of Lenzer
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

well these would have been around the 1950s.

I have a rough idea of their birthdays as she writes about Mum going to theri birthday parties in 1953 and 1954 - so hopefully I should be bale to get them on ancestry - it was just getting an idea of what I'm looking for
                  Zoe in London

Comment

What year are we talking about?

and how old do you think Nicolas is - seeing the birth in Jan qtr - worth a look at that quarter

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I'm just doing names starting Leu now on ancestry. I'm hoping their about the same age as mu mum as it's not actually mentioned but she does talk about her having friends of her own age to play with
                      Zoe in London

Comment

this is proving a thankless task

I've done LEU, TEU, LOU and TOU for 1950-1954

I've found one Teuser (neither of my names) and one Lotz, correct first name
                        Zoe in London

Comment

I initially thought Leuzer, but comparing the writing with other words, I think it is Touzer.
                          Christine
                          Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
                          Mary Jean Iron

Comment

I would definitely say it begins with a T as further down there is the name Tierney and the first letters are exactly the same.

I think it says Touzer personally
                            Last edited by George; 12-06-08, 22:35.
                            Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Just throwing in a wild card here for consideration and discard, lol.

Seuzer or Senzer.

OC

Comment

I thought Touzer. But did they really give her lace panties for her present?
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

well I've tried all the suggestions so far and can't find any matching births for the two boys at all

I'm giving up for the night but will leave you with this... part two

(have changed some names for identity fraud protection)

Nan is Bridget Ann DOOHDAH born 1914 in Dublin
                                  daughter of Thomas and Jane Doohdah. Thomas works for Guinness

In late 1940s Brigid Anne Doohdah, daughter of Thomas Doohdah a brewery clerk marries
                                  husband is Jan Salek, a lift operator, son of Stanislaw Salek, a farmer

Family say Jan was a refugee who escaped during the war from Poland. He was jewish and the family back in Dublin, strictly Catholic never approved of the marriage.

Tales conflict as to whether he was still around in early 1950s when mum was born. Most reliable memories say he wasn't.

On Mums birth certificate:

she was born in Essex in a mothers nursing home, although her mothers address is given as Swiss Cottage.

parents details as follows:

mother - Bridget Ann Doohdah formerly Salek
                                  father - Irving Doohdah

Until now I thought Irving was a random name she had picked but looking at the baby book today i.e. her own personal record, the parents section has "Irving and Bridget Doohdah"

So, am I right to assume that Jan has disappeared by this point and this mystery Irving is most likely to be the father?

And that, to save face but ensure her daughter has her family name, she is pretending that she and Irving are married with a married name of Doohdah?

Last edited by samesizedfeet; 12-06-08, 23:59.
                                  Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                    I thought Touzer. But did they really give her lace panties for her present?
                                    she was four so I'm thinking those fancy knickers you make babies wear under their frocks. Well, I'm hoping.

earlier in the book when she's about two Nan tells how fascinated she was by her "nighties, but just the ones with lace and ribbons"
                                    Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                                      Until now I thought Irving was a random name she had picked but looking at the baby book today i.e. her own personal record, the parents section has "Irving and Bridget Doohdah"

So, am I right to assume that Jan has disappeared by this point and this mystery Irving is most likely to be the father?
                                      Sounds likely to me. Is Irving D******* the name it really says or another name you've changed to protect the innocent? Anyway, I suppose you could look at the electoral register for the address she was living at to see if he (Irving) is listed there? If he was eligible to vote, though - I suppose he could have been foreign as well?

Oh, sorry, not if you only have "Swiss Cottage" as an address, I suppose.
                                      Last edited by samesizedfeet; 12-06-08, 23:58.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It sounds like a reasonable assumption that Irving was the father. Are the phone books on Ancestry any help?

Re your first point about the boys' names, there's always the possibility that Nan didn't know how the name was spelt. I was wondering about Souza.

Jackie
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X