help required finding a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help required finding a death

I am writing an article for the magazine on my hubby's great grandfather, George Hillis Nelson & I am trying to find out if his widow is dead or not. Unfortunately I don't know how old she was when they married in 1954, only that she was younger than him. He died in 1958 age 82 in Chester. If anyone could help me with this search, please let me know & I can pm you her name.

Thanks
    Lynn

I don't mind a bit of trawling, Lynn.

Comment

Could she have re-married?

I think I have seen the marriage if she's the woman with three forenames! Do you know if she was married before?

How great was the age difference (roughly)?

Comment

Yes she did have 3 names, the gro only shows her first name & 2 initials but Cheshire BMD shows all 3. I have found a death in Wrexham in 2000 with the correct 2 first names & 3rd initial, but a different surname, so she could have remarried. I don't know if she was married before marrying George or how old she was, I am not sure if my in laws ever met her.
        Lynn

Comment

If you have a 2000 death, then you will have a dob on that too?

You could try looking for a birth reg to match that date and the surname she had when she married, on the offchance that she was a spinster in 1954.

Comment

Yes, that works (I followed your example and looked on Cheshire BMD, and then looked on the GRO birth index for her original name!), so that death reg is 99% likely to be her!

Comment

That was a big age gap, wasn't it!

Comment

Oh lovely Merry, so you found a birth. I have started to look for a remarriage, starting from 1959, by all accounts she would have been a merry widow ( no offence :D)
                Lynn

Comment

lol!!

I bet she re-married about 4 or 5 years after she was widowed.

Comment

Yes, it certainly was a big gap. The marriage wasn't approved of by the family & by all accounts she helped him spend a lot of money. she did give his medals to the Cheshire museum though
                    Lynn

Comment

Well your estimate was slightly out Merry. Sylvia Margaret Catherine Nelson, buried George August 1958 & remarried Sept qtr 1960, before dying Sylvia Connah in 2000.! Now I know she is dead, I can put up her name. thanks for your help.
                      Lynn

Comment

I have to admit I saw your thread hours ago, but couldn't face a trawl, so waited until after someone else had replied!! lol (good old Libby! She isn't searching is she????? pmsl!!)

Comment

WendyP volunteered to look as well. Hopefully she didn't start.I was lucky in the combination of names made her easier to find. I am sure MIL will be interested to know what happened to her step grandmother.
                          Lynn

Comment

No...I didn't start.....didn't know who I was looking for.

I don't mind trawling.......a bit like ironing really and I don't mind that either. Maybe I'm just boring LOL.

Comment

I don't mind trawling either now Libby, it is so much easier now I have Broadband, it was a lot slower before.
                              Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X