Montgomeryshire Parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montgomeryshire Parish records

Hi I wonder if anyone has access to parish records for the above, I am looking for Sarah Williams born c 1823 father Reece/Rees Williams, She married John Richardson 1842 in Great Boughton Cheshire. The only census I can find the family on is 1851 they are living Ellsemere Port Cheshire.There children are Elizabeth 1842, Sarah 1846, John R 1850 and my grt grandma Ruth b 1854.
    I asked Powys record office to do a search for me but the parish it gives on 1851 doesn't exist (Llanfair Fedco) So they looked at the most likely on which is Llanfechan but couldn't find any trace of her.
    If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
    Regards Gill
    I have to go out for a while will check back later
    Last edited by Guest; 12-06-08, 11:49. Reason: Have to leave computer

Sarah's birthplace on the 1851 looks like Llanfair Fedw or perhaps Llanfair Fedwr. It looks as though "Montgomery" was written in by a different hand so may not be correct.

In 1861 there is a Betsy Richardson age 18 born Ellesmere Port working as a servant in Standon, Staffordshire, who could be Elizabeth.
    Then in 1871 Ruth is a servant in Whitmore, Staffordshire and John Jr is in Tunstall, Staffordshire, so I would guess the family should all be in Staffordshire in 1861? Can't see them there though!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Montgomeryshire Parish Records

Hi Kiterunner,
      Thank you for your reply,Yes I do have Elizabeth '& Ruth through to 1901 and there marriages, I also think I have a death for father John Richardson in 1855, though right name,right place and right age there is no wifes name on the certificate to confirm it's the right one. Must admit I havn't seen the record of Betsy on 1861 will have a look at that. There doesn't seem any record of daughter Sarah though.
      I have found a christening on IGI that I was quite excited about 05/08/1823 in Llanfeigan but it's Brecon not Montgomery, father Rees and mother Sara with batch numbers I found 3 sisters & a brother.
      Thank's for your interest Gill

Comment

1851 census entry clearly written by English chap who wasn't familiar with the Welsh language, but I can't see anything in the Montgomeryshire pages on Genuki that looks likely.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Gill, I started looking at those Breconshire ones earlier but have to get back to them later. We don't know who wrote "Montgomery" on the census so we don't know if it's likely to be correct or not.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry to be so long coming back visiters!!
            Little Nell I think it's a clear case of "Lost in Translation" I would think she had Welsh as first language in those days and picked up English, so it would have been difficult for both her & emunerater(spelling)
            Kiterunner I don't know why but I have a good feeling abt that IGI record
            The Betsy you found is in the right area, Elizabeth married Henry Phillips in 1864 in Maer Staffs which I don't think is very far from Standon and Ruth is a servant in Whitmore in 1871 which again is in the same area.
            Gill
            Last edited by Guest; 12-06-08, 18:47.

Comment

Hi Gill,

There is a place in Montgomeryshire that is called Llanfair Caereinion sp? The Llanfair railway runs through there...old steam trains etc, popular with tourists.
              It is not far from Welshpool.

I have travelled through there often on the way to the coast.

Allie
              Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Hi Allie,
                I will see if I can find it thank's
                Gill

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,
                  Hope you are around, I found Betsy Richardson in Standon and 2 pages before is her future husband Henry Phillips a Carter, so they were in the same area at that time. I wonder if they were "stepping out together" lol.I have been looking all day again for Ruth but can't find her, tried everything, only thing I can think is mother married again and Ruth assumed the new name.
                  Gill x

Comment

I'll have a look laterwhen I get on thecomputer. I did have a look the other day but no luck.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

No, sorry, still can't see her on the 1861 but there are quite a few places missing from that census so it could be that she just isn't on it.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X