Merchant shipping official numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merchant shipping official numbers?

I'm sure that some time ago I found a website where you could look up the name of a merchant vessel and it would tell you its official number, but at the time I didn't have enough information about the ship my great-grandfather captained to know which one it was out of several of the same name. Now I've found out for sure what year it was built and its tonnage, I should be able to pick out the right one and get the number - but I can't find the website! Does anybody know of it, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

This site might have the link?

Tracing British Seamen & their ships
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HI Kiterunner

only site I've got is this one - not sure if it's of any hlp though

Palmer List of Merchant Vessels
      WendyP

Comment

just found this one dependent on time frame

GSN Global Ship Numbering System : home
        WendyP

Comment

This is the one I use

CLIP - Crew List Index Project - Home page

Jackie
          Jackie

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think it might have been the one you posted, Jackie, this bit of it in particular:

CLIP - Crew List Index Project - Vessel data by name

Think I've found the right ship in there now as it is the only one of that name built in the right year.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hmm, Wendy, I don't think that second one you posted has much data on it yet!:

System Statistics

Below are the current statistics for ships held by the GSN system:

GSN currently holds 0 Ships and 0 Records

Maybe it'll be more useful in a few months!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X