Mary Phyre Pigott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Phyre Pigott

Yup - a pesky Pigott however she is one of the last ones to do (asides from her elusive brother Nathaniel) and has been sitting in my "to difficult pile" for too long.

Fact: Born Bengal and baptised 22 November 1886 India Office Bengal Presidency. Father Charles Pigott mother Jessie Pigott nee Bizely. (Information from India Office Ecclesiastical Returns).

Fact: I can't find her in the 1901 census. Her younger siblings and parents are here: RG13; Piece: 800; Folio: 52; Page: 16. (as is the uberpesky Nathaniel!)

Anecdotal: Married a "Jewish Austrian Furrier" possibly called something like Herr Engerlinger (no first name) - who her father didn't approve of so they left England. Not sure where or if she actually married him. Supposedly returned to England prior to WW2. Allegedly living in Bloomsbury in 1936. They also allegedly had a son who "took all the family names" but one of them is possibly Barrington. :o (Given the eclectic boys names the Pigott's have the choice is vast: Shreeve, Stainsby, Pelling, Gough, Botry and Gillery to give just a few).

I would just like some suggestions as where to look for a marriage that might have taken place on the continent and birth records for abroad.

If any of the anecdotal stuff is true - wouldn't the husband have been interred during WW2? If so where abouts would I find records of that?

Any advice or a shove in the right direction would be much appreciated. Got to go off line soon but will be back later.
    Many thanks
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Have you looked through the GRO "Overseas Indexes" on findmypast or Family Relatives already?

He wouldn't necessarily have been interned during WW2, especially if he was Jewish, and married to a British citizen. My grandmother was German (not Jewish) and she wasn't.
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 11-06-08, 12:28.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post

I would just like some suggestions as where to look for a marriage that might have taken place on the continent and birth records for abroad.
      FindmyPast and FamilyRelatives both have overseas BMDs for British subjects.

If any of the anecdotal stuff is true - wouldn't the husband have been interred during WW2?
      Not until after he was dead, I hope

He might have been interned, though...

If so where abouts would I find records of that?
      No idea - TNA, maybe?

Comment

Not until after he was dead, I hope

He might have been interned, though...

Oops - talk about a malapropism! :o

Thanks Mary
        I've tried the findmypast overseas records but I was thinking that perhaps any child wouldn't be counted as a British Citizen (but I'm not sure why I thought that now!).

I haven't heard of familyrelatives - I'll go to the wiki I guess there is a link there?
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

My grandfather was a policeman in ww2 and aliens had to visit the police station every week. I think those records remained locally with the police. (So now destroyed, in police archives or CRO/TNA depending on the force) Whether abstracts were sent to any central department, I don't know.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It is Familyrelatives.com, Family Tree, Family History, Genealogy but they are the same indexes that are on findmypast so if you didn't find anything on findmypast you won't find them on there either.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

1901 - possibly she was in boarding school.

I would guess if her husband was Austrian, they may have married there and no doubt returned to England after Hitler's rise to power. It would help if you had an address in Bloomsbury. Would he have continued working as a furrier and be listed in a trades directory?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Internees were sent to the Isle of Man, I think, and I believe records are in National Archives - but before you look, I think it would help if you found the marriage as that would give you her husband's full name.

Possible marriage: Mary Piggott 1909 Jul-Aug-Sep Bethnal Green 1c p338
                others on page William Blackmore & Sarah Paine.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                X