Nottingham Archives look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nottingham Archives look up please

There is a submitted marriage on the IGI.
    15 Dec 1794, Orston, Notts.
    John CHESTER and Eleanor JOHNSON.

Can anyone check this for me in the registers?

There is also a baptism for Mary Chester 22 Jun 1797 in Orston, daughter of John & Eleanor, I wondered if there were any other children before or after this.

I think these are my family who moved to Stathern, Leicestershire (not very far away). My 3x great grandmother was born there in 1799

Thank you, in anticipation.

Hi, Margaret. As far as I know, my name is still down in the Wiki for Notts lookups? Anyway, I'm planning to go there later today so will certainly have a look for you.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kate

Yes, your name is still listed, but you have done so many lookups for me I didn't like to ask :o

If you are going today, thank you, I have struck lucky

There is also a marriage, submitted again, of Robert Johnson and Ann Pepper on 20 Dec 1757 in Orston. Do you think you could check this as well?

Thank you so much.

Comment

Of course I can, Margaret. Are they Eleanor's parents? Would you like me to look up their children, including Eleanor, too? Or do you already have that bit?
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Of course I can, Margaret. Are they Eleanor's parents? Would you like me to look up their children, including Eleanor, too? Or do you already have that bit?

Oooh yes please Kate.

Yes Eleanors parents according to the submitted info on the IGI.

Don't know where John Chester was from.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
            There is a submitted marriage on the IGI.
            15 Dec 1794, Orston, Notts.
            John CHESTER and Eleanor JOHNSON.

Can anyone check this for me in the registers?

There is also a baptism for Mary Chester 22 Jun 1797 in Orston, daughter of John & Eleanor,
            Just checked my info,

there IS a marriage 15th dec 1794 but its between HENRYE Chester and Eleanor Johnson.

Cannot see a bapt for Mary Chester BUT there is a bapt for Mary Johnson mothers name Eleanor at Newark St Mary. 23/10/1807.
            (that was the only one coming up.)

Anther Marriage though.

George Chester/Mary Rider 12/05/1795 @ Orston.

and

Robert Johnson and Ann Pepper on 20 Dec 1757

is same date but not Robert is HENRYE Johnson.

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Right, the post has arrived so I will go to the Archives soon...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                Just checked my info,

there IS a marriage 15th dec 1794 but its between HENRYE Chester and Eleanor Johnson.

Cannot see a bapt for Mary Chester BUT there is a bapt for Mary Johnson mothers name Eleanor at Newark St Mary. 23/10/1807.
                (that was the only one coming up.)

Anther Marriage though.

George Chester/Mary Rider 12/05/1795 @ Orston.

and

Robert Johnson and Ann Pepper on 20 Dec 1757

is same date but not Robert is HENRYE Johnson.

Oh heck Julie

Looks as though the submitted info has been doctored to fit

Comment

Julie

It is definitely John & Eleanor I am looking for. They have kids in Stathern, Leicestershire 1799 onwards.
                  Guy confirmed this a few days ago from his collection of fiche.

It was him who suggested Orston, but from the IGI not fiche.

Comment

Sorry Margaret,

I have just checked again, and now it is saying JOHN Chester, marrying Eleanor...

I do hope the puter isnt on a fritz.... :(

I'm sorry Margaret it does look asthough the info is correct, John and Eleanor and also George and Mary, both marrried @ Orston on the dates given above on previous posts.

So sorry for the confusion

*slaps wrists* :o:o:o
                    Julie

Comment

By way of a BIG apology.

are these related?

William Johnson/Edie Mee 08/12/1734.
                      Robert Johnson/Ann Pepper 20/12/1757 (we know this is).
                      John Johnson/Elizabeth Reast 28/02/1764.
                      George Johnson/Martha Goodwin 24/02/1845.

ALL marriages at Orston, if thats any help..

oh btw, I dont have bapts for Orston, (just checked) but have you tried a parent search on IGI??? usually when the bapts arent on my discs it means that they are already on IGI.

Slinks off thread now...........
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 10-06-08, 11:42.
                      Julie

Comment

Julie

Only started on this family a few days ago when Guy suggested Orston. I will wait for Kate to get back with any info from the archives and sort it out from there.

Thank you for your time.

By the way, what discs are these you are referring to?

Comment

Have pm'd you Margaret
                          Julie

Comment

"The Banns of Marriage between John Chester and Eleanor Johnson both of Orston in the County of Nottingham were published in the Parish Church of Orston on three several Sundays viz Nov 30th Dec 7th & 14th 1794 by me Jonathan Fell Curate.
                            The Aforesaid John Chester and Eleanor Johnson were married by Banns in the Parish Church of Orston on the fifteenth Day of December One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety four By me, Jonathan Fell Curate.
                            This Marriage was solemnized between us John Chester
                            The Mark X of Eleanor Johnson
                            In the presence of us William Hitchcock William Willson"
                            (serial witness, although he couldn't make up his mind whether to sign his surname with one l or two!)

George Chester of Orston married Mary Rider 12 May 1795; witnesses were Richard Hart and William Wilson. George made his mark, whereas John signed his name, which I suppose makes it less likely that they were brothers.

1797 - "Mary Daughter of John and Eleanor Chester bapt. June 22"

No other children of this couple baptised up to the end of 1799.

(Torn page, or perhaps eaten by mice?)"... Johnson & Ann Pepper of Orston were married this 20th of Decr. 1757 by me W Smith Curate
                            ...arriage was solemnised between us Robert Johnson & Ann X her mark Johnson
                            in the presence of John Fritchley (serial witness) & George Gray"

Don't worry about the fact that it says "Ann Johnson" rather than Pepper for where she made her mark - evidently the curate at that time considered that by the time they signed the register she was married and so had to use her married name - all the entries in that register around that time are done the same.

Unfortunately, W Smith or whoever wrote out the register for the following years was not very skilled at spelling or penmanship, and some of the pages are very faded. It doesn't help that the baptisms and burials are all muddled up together either, but these do all look to be children of the above couple:
                            1759 Thomas the son of Robard & An gonsn Departed January 9 1760
                            1760 Mary the Daughter of Robart And An Jon sson Baptised September the 20 1760
                            1763 An daughter of Robard & Ann Johnson bapt. April 11(?)
                            1765 Catrin Daughter of Robart & Ann Jon Ston Bapt. March the 28
                            1770 William Sun of Robart & An Jonsson Bapt March 20
                            1773 Gatrude Daughter of Robert & Ann Johnson Baptized Jany. 19th
                            1776 Eleanor Daughter of Robert and Ann Johnson baptized July 17th
                            1779 William son of Robert and Ann Johnson buried March 21st.
                            Sarah Daughter of Robert and Ann Johnson baptized May 24 (also 1779)
                            1782 John son of Robert and Ann Johnson baptized June 12.

I didn't notice any Chester baptisms in among those years, but there could possibly be some that I didn't pick out as they are quite hard to decipher. There were some Chettles, so I don't know whether that's a variant of the same name?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you so much Kate

I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X