Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subscription Services - should I try another one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subscription Services - should I try another one ?

My UK ancestry subscription will expire next month and I trying to decide if any of the other services will gain me any information.

As I have been researching several years, I have done the IGI and followed up with the microfilms where I can. I have tracked all my family in all the census, have nearly all the immigrants to Australia. I have the NBI on disks.

Does anyone think that a sub to FFHO or findmypast would gain any new information ? Should I just wait for the LDS to digitise their microfilms and hope I can afford a sub then ?

Any suggestions appreciated

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

What are looking for Diane? That might make your decision easier.

Comment

Hi Libby

Well, I am probably mostly looking for older parish records, a some of which are online for free, I know. Mostly pre 1800 I think. Some Army records, to follow up the few clues I have from around 1800-1815. They don't sound like the things that are online yet.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

Yes, Di......sounds like what I'm after as well. At the moment I'm using wills. I know i can get them from LDS but getting to LDS is not easy at all. I'm thinking of buying any I can find.

Comment

Are you talking specific areas, or across the country?

Have you contacted family history societies for the local areas to find out what projects they have been involved in? Some, like Devon and Cambridge have done an immense amount of work on baptisms, marriages and burials. IGI coverage can be very patchy. The results of FHS projects aren't always online, but they will often do look ups for you.

I've never subscribed to Ancestry because it has so little besides censuses and the Parish & Probate section is really just like Google books, but with less information.

It's really horses for courses. Most websites will tell you what datasets they contain. It's a question of deciding whether it covers anything relevant for your area.

(I am currently dreaming of a week in a record office as there is so much simply not online)
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

When you say FFHO, do you mean Family History Online? If so, then you can search for free to see if they have any records that interest you, and then if there are some you want to look at, it's just a few pounds for some credits. It's the same story with findmypast - you can buy some pay-as-you-go credits for a few pounds if there is something you want to look at. So you could easily get some credits for those sites whether or not you decide to renew your ancestry sub.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kiterunner

I think that's what I will do, purchase some credits here and there, some wills etc from TNA and whatever else I can find.

I can see its going to be very slow steps of progress from here on, just a snippet here and there, no new loads of rellies via the census anymore, they are all found.

Diane
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X