X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone lookup.. im at a loss

James COLLINSON possibly born in Bostock Green, Lancashire
    wife- Mary IRELAND

We think his son William Hunter Collinson (b.1840) was born in Australia. William puts his father down as a sailor or mariner on a cert.
    On William Hunter Collinson's first marriage certificate, he said he was born in Bostock Green in Lancashire, but on the second he said, Emerald Hill in Melbourne which we think is correct. We think he may have been talking about his father on the first one as his home in QLD was named Emerald Hill (so am thinking Emerald Hill victoria was his home as a child).
    I cant find William on ANY Victorian records though!! Not even in the 1836-1888 vic BDM, someone searching for the same thing i am checked baptismal records in Victoria for that period of time too but there was nothing!

(I dont have the certs talked about above.. they will be emailed to me this week hopefully by the person researching the same thing, she is a COLLINSON by marriage, her hubbys father is a distant cousin to my great gran.. or something like that lol)

I am so lost and confused on this!! I cant find anything :(
    I’m no genealogist …
    Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
    ;)

Hello....

Had a quick look on Lancs OPC site but can't find anything to match. Watching sick grandson and cake in oven so multi-skilling. Could have missed it. LOL.

I can't find anything on AVRI...but Qld has

1866 William Collinson(not sure if yours as evry other record has William Hunter Collinson) married Jemina Eliza Martain.

1873 Jemina Collinson (age 28, daughter of James Knatt and Mary, born London) died.

Cannot find any children for them.

1878 William Hunter Collinson marries Dorinde Armstrong
    Children of the above...

1879 Jim George
    1880 Dolly
    1883 Edith
    1885 Joseph Hunter
    1888 Lizzie (d 1892)
    1892 Fred.

You probably have those, but can't find anything else at the moment.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah i have all of that. William and Jemima had no children.. but her 3 children to a previous marraige all took the COLLINSON name.
      This is what i have:

Queensland Marriages Index
      1860/C103 KnattJemima ElizaMartin Samuel

Queensland Marriage Indexes
      1866/C372 Collinson William Martain Jemima Eliza
      Marriage solemnised in the District of Fort Cooper, in the Colony of Queensland.

No 372/23rd April 1866, at Nebo, Fort Cooper, William Collinson, Bachelor, born Bostock, Lamcashire, England, sawyer, aged 25 years, residing at Nebo, Fort Cooper, son of James Collinson, sailor, and Mary Ireland to Jemima Eliza Martain, Widow, born London, domestic, aged 22 years, residing at Nebo, Fort Cooper, daughter of James Knatt, painter and house decorator, and Jane Dillon. Married in the Court House, Nebo, Fort Cooper. This marriage was solemnised between us, William Collinson and Jemima Eliza Martain according to Act 28, Vic, No 15, in the presence of John Fairburn and Eliza Jordan, by me, Sydney Moore, Registrar.

I just cant seem to get anywhere on his birth recored or anything on his parents
      I’m no genealogist …
      ;)

Comment

Found him in 1903, 1905 and 1913.

He is a cane farmer with Dorinda and Dolly, James and Mary Martha. Emerald Park, Mulgrave Road, Herbert (Cairns).
        1905 He is without Dorinda, but with James and Mary, Blackfellows Creek, Mulgrave Road.

Comment

Yeah.... I even have a pic of the house they were living in. (the one he calls Emerald Park)

Just cant find his birth record (in vic).

I wonder if there is an Emerald Hill in England????

I cant find anything on his parents either!
          I’m no genealogist …
          ;)

Comment

Can't find him or parents in any census.
            Can't find his birth registered in England 1839 to 1942. (not compulsory though)
            Can't find his baptism or his parents marriage in Lancs BDMs.

Didn't find much, did I????? Baut at least it will show others what I've tried.

Have you found his parents in Australia anywhere?

Comment

LMAO You tried well.... i have been looking everywhere and cant find ANYTHING GRRRRRRR

i am going insane!! I really want this as it is my great grans family!
              I’m no genealogist …
              ;)

Comment

oohhh... someone did find this for me:

1851 England Census
                Wm Collinson
                born c 1840 Hull, Yorkshire, England
                Father's Name: James
                Mother's Name: Mary

Drypool Yorkshire England

Registration district: Sculcoates
                Sub registration district: Sutton

Other members in household
                James Callinson 37
                Mary Callinson 42
                Geor Collinson 8
                Sarah Collinson 6
                Wm Collinson 11

Just doesnt fit with the whole Emerald Park thing.... dont know if its my family or not
                Why would he put born in Emerald Hill vic on his 2nd marriage cert if he wasnt born there ??
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-06-08, 07:08. Reason: Copied and pasted direct from Ancestry - copyright infringement
                I’m no genealogist …
                ;)

Comment

Just found that one for you, but doesn't fit in with Lancashire. Of course it should be easy with names like James, Mary and William LOL.

I wish I could place when he came here. If William was born here, then James and Mary had to come about or before 1840ish. Can't find them. Can't find any William born to James and Mary.

Wonder where the Hunter came from???

Comment

I have no idea where the Hunter came from. I wish i could place all those things aswell. Its all a mystery LOL but its really bugging me
                    I’m no genealogist …
                    ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ~Queen.B~ View Post
                      James COLLINSON possibly born in Bostock Green, Lancashire
                      wife- Mary IRELAND

We think his son William Hunter Collinson (b.1840) was born in Australia. William puts his father down as a sailor or mariner on a cert.
                      On William Hunter Collinson's first marriage certificate, he said he was born in Bostock Green in Lancashire, but on the second he said, Emerald Hill in Melbourne which we think is correct. We think he may have been talking about his father on the first one as his home in QLD was named Emerald Hill (so am thinking Emerald Hill victoria was his home as a child).
                      I cant find William on ANY Victorian records though!! Not even in the 1836-1888 vic BDM, someone searching for the same thing i am checked baptismal records in Victoria for that period of time too but there was nothing!

(I dont have the certs talked about above.. they will be emailed to me this week hopefully by the person researching the same thing, she is a COLLINSON by marriage, her hubbys father is a distant cousin to my great gran.. or something like that lol)

I am so lost and confused on this!! I cant find anything :(
                      There is a Melbourne in Derbyshire, could this be the place?

Comment

I just googled Melbourne in Derbyshire but there is no Emerald hill there :(
                        I’m no genealogist …
                        ;)

Comment

Bostock Green seems to be in Cheshire, not Lancashire, if that's any help.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks as though it was in the parish of Davenham, but I can't see any Collinsons in that parish on the Cheshire Parish Register Project.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

The IGI has a John Killinson baptised at Davenham in 1794 (parents Samuel and Margaret), so it may be worth looking under Killinson as well.
                              Last edited by KiteRunner; 10-06-08, 09:04.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks will look around!!
                                I’m no genealogist …
                                ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X