Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railway fatality records

Hi

we think we have found a record of my gg grandad being injured in a railway accident, in which one man died. Is there anywhere i can find out more about the accident. it was in Hereford/Gloucester in 1874

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Have you looked to see if there is anything in the Gale newspaper collection?
    If not do you want to give me a name and I will look for you.
    Elaine

Comment

Thats where i found it, whereas once i then search for the victims name it doesnt come up with anything at all not even in the article which my gg grandad is mentioned in!! typical!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

it would certainly be covered in the local newspaper of the time.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It doesn't appear to be one of the "significant accidents" that feature in Tom Rolt's "Red for Danger". There were 4 of them in 1874 but not in that area.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My OH has some books on railway accidents, but I can't find anything in them for that area.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The Black Sheep index has that sort of thing, I think:

RAILWAYS

Comment

Was he railway staff?

There may be records at Kew? There are GWR staff records - and some other GWR material, I think, at Kew. They do have records from other railway companies.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  My OH has some books on railway accidents, but I can't find anything in them for that area.
                  Wendy, could you have a look to see if there is anything for Elizabeth Bessie Rigby, died 23 July 1927 - train accident - somewhere in Lancashire! Thanks.
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                    Hi Wendy,

Would it be possible if you could have a look to see if there is anything about a Henry Woodman, who was hit by a train in 1873 Bedfordshire.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Comment

Just a note - the books that I (and presumably Wendy's OH) have are not complete listings of every accident. They mostly just record the ones that changed the course of railway history. So "person hit by a train" is represented by William Huskisson MP at the Rainhill Trials circa 1830.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X