Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone date this childrens photo for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone date this childrens photo for me?

Hi

would anyone be able to date this photo for me. we have a guess at either early 1900's or 1920-1930's

many thanks
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I'd say it's early 1930's personally.

Comment

Early 1930s I would say, my mother was pictured at a similar age dressed in that style c1933,

Comment

i would say later 1940,s ,the shoes on the little girl look like t bars,long sock on boy,brenda xxx

Comment

Agree with Brenda, more like 40s, the little girl is wearing a beret, very popular in the 40s and 50s.

OC

Comment

For my sixpence worth ............ I would go for late 1940's even very early 50's.

Mike

Comment

Unfortunately attempting to date photographs of young children accurately can be very difficult, if not impossible at times and one can only give either approximate dates or a date span. In the case of this study I would cautiously dip my toe in and say that this may have been taken between the years of 1930 and 1940. However saying that, because of the style of clothing worn by both the young girl and boy, it could well have been taken much later. The wearing of a beret by women had become popular in the early 1930's, bought on by the realm's of the Hollywood startlets and also Sports women, a fact bore out when the 19 year old Diana Fishwick accepted her trophy for being the British Womans Open Golf Champion in 1930 and her headwear being a beret worn at a "juanty" angle. In the 1940's the beret came into its own by being worn by women in the work place and for leisure. The style of cap being worn by the small boy has been worn since the late victorian times by sports men and then, as usual with fashion, children were dressed in "mini" version of adult garb. By the turn of the 1900's it had been adapted and worn not only for every day use but also as part of a school uniform (where one was worn). Its use of it, as part of a school uniform, is still carried out to this day in some school's although in the main it has disappeared and has been replaced by the Baseball Cap. As for the shoes the Clark family have been making shoes in Street in Somerset since the 1830's and since the 1900's have been well known for the making of childrens shoes, in fact at one point they were the leaders in this field before the influx of cheap footwear made in the Far East which has flooded the market. The style of shoe, as Brenda has pointed out has a T bar, can be seen in certain photograph's of young girls which had been taken c1910. So like I said it can be hard to give a correct date to this type of study.
              don

Comment

Working...
              X