Help finding this lady after 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding this lady after 1851

I have a Ellen Henesy B-1812 married to George Larkin in 1829,George dies in 1854.On the 1841 census Ellen is born Ireland and on the 1851 London.
    Received a marriage cert today for Ellen Larkin to James Watson.
    They are both widow's and Ellen's maiden name is Hennesy.They are both residing in St Bride's Parish at the time of the marriage in 1855.James occupation is Chancery Barrister and her occupation was Conveyancer.
    Now the only couple i can find that sort of relates in 1861 is this
    RG9; Piece: 299; Folio: 137; Page: 15
    But James occ is Foreman to C----man,which really does not fit with Barrister.Any help would be great.

Sue

The James you found in 1861 is "Foreman to Carman", so it doesn't sound likely to be the right one. The trouble is, there are quite a few parts of London missing from the 1861, so it could be that they are nowhere to be found on that one.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite,

Thanks for that.

Sue

Comment

I would normally say, look through the London directories on the Historical Directories website because he is bound to be listed on there, but the site has been unavailable for a few days now.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I just want to check what we are looking for here!

Ellen (b abt 1811 Ireland/London?) was married to George Larkin and he was a baker.

You thought after George died Ellen may have married James Watson, but now you have the cert and he's a chancery barrister, this seems unlikely.....however you want to find the barrister and his wife after the marriage just to check their ages (did they have ages on the marriage cert?) etc. In the meantime you also want to know what happened to your Ellen, given that she probably didn't marry the barrister?

Is that it in a nutshell??!

Comment

Have you found any of George and Ellen's children in 1861?

Comment

Do you have George Larkin's death cert and did Ellen register his death?

Comment

Merry, surely if Ellen's surname was Larkin when she married James Watson and her father's surname is given as Hennessy on the marriage cert, it has to be the right Ellen marrying James Watson? It's just that couple on the 1861 who are the wrong people, isn't it?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Oh sorry, I didn't know we knew her name was Hennessy when she married George (I thought we were just being told what was on the marriage cert). I assumes (whoops) a baker's widow wouldn't be marrying a barrister! lol

I also didn't expect a baker's widow to be a conveyancer???

So we are saying it IS the right Ellen, just that she can't be found after the marriage????

Comment

I am trying to find Ellen after 1851.
                    Think i have found her Daughter Ellen in 1861
                    RG9; Piece: 771; Folio: 61b; Page: 35 but nothing for William.Have George as he is my direct line.
                    I thought she has done very well for herself marrying a barrister.
                    Received the marriage cert today and her father is Hennesy farmer,James father Leitenant in the army.No ages just Full age.
                    Witness to the wedding are Henry Smith,Asaph? Ira Browne and Elizabeth Carlisle.
                    Sorry was just looking at the 1851 census and found a James Watson practising barrister with wife Katherine living in London.He was born 1810 Kirkwell,Orkney.Might be the same James as he is down as widower.

Comment

I do know that her maiden name was Henesey.Someone kindly looked up the parish records last week for me when they went to Westminster.

Comment

So her name was Hennessy when she married George? (Sorry, it would seem I've come in on this in the middle!)

Edit - sorry, cross-posted!

Comment

LOL that's ok .Yes is was.
                          Am just going to look what a conveyancer did.
                          Might be a bit slow answering as just putting tea on so will be back and forward.
                          Ok just read what she was and it seems a bit strange as she is a farmer's daughter and married a baker to start with.
                          Last edited by niftynannie; 09-06-08, 09:27.

Comment

Actually, are you sure it says conveyancor? I would doubt a woman (of any class!) would have done that job at that date, unless it had a completely different meaning. Now it means a lawyer who deals in buying and selling houses.

Comment

Unless thay were just trying to be clever in some way? Most women didn't put an occ when they married, as it just wasn't "done" even if they slaved away in paid employment every day the whole of their lives.

Comment

Ah ok have had a closer look and maybe it relates to him.Chancery Barrister & Conveyancer,with the last ending up next to her name.Silly me

Comment

Oh, I feel much better now! lolol

(not that it's helping much lol)

Comment

I saw the 1851 Orkney chap with wife Katherine E. I can't find him in 1861, and the best fit death for his wife is this one:

Deaths Dec 1860
                                    Watson Catherine Elizabeth Clerkenwell 1b 55

which is too late!

Maybe we should be looking at the Scottish censuses too?

Comment

Sorry Merry just getting dinner going.
                                      Might have to go through a few more of the James Watson's on the 1851 census see if there is another barrister

Comment

I'm sure there must be a publication with biographical details etc for barristers, similar to the Crockfords Clerical Directory, the Army List and suchlike, but I don't know what it's called. Anybody know?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X