This is driving me to drink!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is driving me to drink!

PLEASE can anyone find me a Christopher Kirkham on the 1851 census? Preferably one married to a Diana/Dinah? But if not, any will do.

There isn't one person in 1851 called Christopher Kirkham - I have searched on first name alone, with or without a spouse.

The only way I even know he exists, is because he dies in 1865, aged 87! I think I have him in 1861, aged 78, a widower - but this could be the OTHER Christopher Kirkham I'm looking for.

Dinah Kirkham died in 1857 aged 60, so they both should be around in 1851 - but I can't find them! I have them in 1841, but it is a late second marriage and none of his children from his previous marriage are still at home - so I still don't know which Christopher I have found.

Don't worry about ages/places of birth - any Christopher Kirkham will do, although I can't imagine why he would be anywhere other than Lancashire.

Thankyou to anyone who valiantly attempts this task!

OC

It may not be significant, but I see FHOL has a Christopher Kirk in the wet part of the 1851 census.

Comment

Mine's a white wine please :D

HO107 Piece 2261 Folio 194 Page 27

Transcribed as Christophe Wickham and Diannah

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

OOOOH, Jackie! thankyou so much!

I have been off investigating this Diana woman. Took some unravelling because she has been married 3 times.

I am now reasonably sure that I am only dealing with two Christophers, not three, and probably only one, lol.

Diana was nee Entwistle - and in 1861, Christopher Kirkham, a widower, was living with his married daughter. Also in the household was Entwistle Entwistle (yup, those daft names again) a lodger aged 35 - Diana's nephew, I think.

This 1861 links Christopher the widower to his second marriage to Diana, and to his first marriage to Peggy. Phew!

Now all I have to do is decide whether the vicar made a mistake when he baptised a child in 1804 to Christopher and MARY, lol - no marriage found and no further sighting of this couple.

Ooooh, look at the time! Thankyou again, I can sleep easy now!

OC

Comment

That's a short trip ...

No disrespect intended (reading OC's posts is one of best reasons to belong to FTF), but I wonder how many people looked at this
            This is driving me to drink!
            Olde Crone Holden
            and thought "That's a short trip ... :D:D:D
            Mind you, there are a lot of Subject lines that make me laugh, such as

Am I Crazy? <yes>
            Could William Smith be my great-great-grandfather?
            <only your great-great-grandmother knew for sure>
            Has anyone ever seen this before?
            <no, you're unique>

and others of that ilk.

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

ooh, Tim. You'll get yourself in trouble.

Don't wanna be here when OC sees what you've been saying about her
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

*Glares at Tim*

No, in fact it was a very long trip - about SIX hours of trawling Ancestry!

I realise in the cold light of day that if I had only looked for JANE Ainsworth (daughter of Diana, stepdaughter of Christopher) I would have found them straightaway. But I didn't - I looked for her children Lettice and Benjamin, thinking they would be easier to spot!

OC

Comment

Do I get some wine, even if I haven't done anything??

Comment

None left, sorry Merry!

But if I EVER discover the parents of Christopher then there will be a water-tower sized container of wine to go round!

OC

Comment

*puts glass away for now* :(

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Now all I have to do is decide whether the vicar made a mistake when he baptised a child in 1804 to Christopher and MARY, lol - no marriage found and no further sighting of this couple.
                      Would the mum actually be written down as Marg for Margaret (because the vicar didn't like the diminutive, Peggy), but it's been read as Mary?

Comment

I'm making a serious bid for that wine :D

Have you seen the OPC for Lancs has a Christopher Kirkham baptised 29 6 1783, abode Pickup Bank, son of "Richard Alice Kirkham". There are loads of other Kirkhams on there.

I can post the link if it doesn't infringe any rules

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

Jackie

Yes, I have that already and will now look at it more closely as I know I am only dealing with one Christopher, not three!

It is tempting though - first, maybe second daughter is Alice, and they have several goes at getting a Richard (failed).

Tell me please - what search terms did you use to find this pair? I tried every combination I could think of - less is more, more is more, etc.

Merry,

Yes, that occurred to me about 3.30 am! Mary is a badly written Marg for Margaret. I need to see the register. If Mary IS their daughter, then she is their first born, and Christopher's grandmother is supposedly a Mary. Mary (nee Holden) was from Haslingden and Christopher's children were all born in Haslingden, according to the transcribed PRs.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Tell me please - what search terms did you use to find this pair? I tried every combination I could think of - less is more, more is more, etc.

I was nosy, because I've never used Lancs OPC, so I tried and the result Jackie got comes up if you just put in his name. I think I selected Event, baptism as well.

Comment

*holds out glass hopefully*
                              Gwynne

Comment

*Wrong thread Mistress Gwynne - the cellar is down the stairs*!
                                Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Merry

No, I meant how did Jackie find Christopher and Diana in 1851!

OC

Comment

Chr* no surname, born Pickup bank, 1783 + or - 2 years.

It was lucky really beacuse the 2nd result has a wife Diannah

Jackie
                                    Jackie

Comment

*wails*

I did the Pickup bank bit, but not the Chr* bit!

OC

Comment

Olde Crone!
                                        Stop making that pathetic noise. Really! Kirkham into Wickham is soooo obvious I'm surprised you didn't sort it out yourelf.

Merry!
                                        You've already got a bottle of virtual champers from me this week. You mustn't go over your quota of alcoholic units you know.

But I have got some opened red wine - cabernet sauvignon - which needs finishing.
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X