X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuneaton Churchyard

Hi
    Not sure if I am on correct forum

Was wondering if anyone has heard about a plan to build a carpark in middle of Nuneaton churchyard
    Nuneaton churchyard is the last unspoilt part of Old Nuneaton and has associations with the characters in George Eliot's "Scenes of Clerical Life" as well as being an oasis of spiritual tranquility in a town
    the level of the churchyard lowered to gain car access, hundreds of bodies disposed of, completely and utterly changing the character of the churchyard for ever.

Jebbo:(

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Oh Dear that's appalling, But really what can we expect, for a long time I thought my Bailey's came from Nuneaton and therefore did a lot of reasch there. I hope sanity wins out
    Sheila

I Know this is a cheek, but if any one from Nuneaton reads this thread I do have a lot of Bailey/ Finny BMD from the 1880/1900's to give away free.
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Jebbo

I share your disgust, but presumably it is the Church has sold this land for car parking!

OC

Comment

Hi Oc
        This is part of email i received
        In one of the most hideous planning decisions in Nuneaton I can ever think of Head of Development Control of Nuneaton & Bedworth Borough Council, has taken the decision to grant planning permission to the Vicar of Nuneaton to build a car park right in the middle of the churchyard, despite protests over the years by the Nuneaton Civic Society and others, and without putting it to a full planning meeting of Councillors. Two local car parks are close by the church already. Nuneaton churchyard is the last unspoilt part of Old Nuneaton and has associations with the characters in George Eliot's "Scenes of Clerical Life" as well as being an oasis of spiritual tranquility in a town decimated by re-development and the motor car. This is ironic since the local council expended a large sum of council tax payer's money in 2007 celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of George Eliot's first publication "Scenes of Clerical Life" with its connections to Nuneaton church in the 1830's and several of the real character's George Eliot wrote about are about to have their bones dug up and unceremoniously dumped thanks to this decision.

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Doesn't sound as though the vicar is that bothered.
          Quite 'who' the vicar of Nuneaton is though I am not sure. There must be lots of ''Nuneaton vicars'' about.
          Jess

Comment

The churchyard is fairly small now, having had lots of it swallowed up already. I haven't heard about this and I'm fairly local.
            Gwynne

Comment

i live in Nuneaton and i havent heard anything about this

off to don detective hat,

will let you know what i find out

xxLynnxx

Comment

Have just found this on line from our this weeks local free paper !!!!!

Graveyard car park outrage
                RYAN MERRIMAN
                06 June 2008

PLANS to desecrate historic graves to make way for a car park at a Nuneaton town centre church have been called absolute sacrilege.

Peter Lee, chairman of the Nuneaton Civic Society, has blasted Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council for giving the green light to St Nicolas Parish Church to create a car park in the churchyard.

The Church Street base has been given the go ahead to create extensions and alterations for a new community hall, vehicle access and a car park.

This will mean that graves, some of which are occupied by local people who were immortalised in George Eliot's 'Scenes of Clerical Life', will be dug up.

Katherine Moreton, head of development control at the council, used delegated powers to grant the planning permission.

Mr Lee is absolutely disgusted and livid with the fact that planning permission was granted and that it did not go before councillors to decide.

He said: "In a decision of breathless insensitivity Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council's head of development control, Katherine Moreton, has made a decision on her own initiative to grant planning permission to building a car park in the middle of the churchyard at St Nicolas Parish Church.

"This involves extensive removal of graves and their occupants, removal of headstones and lowering the level of the graveyard to allow vehicular access onto the historic churchyard. This will also involve the removal of ancient trees and a massive intrusion into the churchyard which is one of the very last unspoiled parts of Nuneaton. A town devastated by redevelopment over the years.

"It is just sheer sacrilege on the part of the council and the church, and film director Ken Loach is appalled by what is happening.

"I would have thought at least this decision would have gone to the full planning committee of local councillors due to the sensitive nature of the proposal.

"These proposals have been put forward by the local church authorities for some years. The Nuneaton Civic Society has objected on several occasions to this, and even had a meeting with the vicar.

"We feel that this decision has been made by stealth, that the proper procedures are not being carried out by the council in ensuring a matter of this sensitive nature is discussed fully by councillors taking into account the highly historic character of the churchyard, that surrounds the 14th century church which is Nuneaton's most important listed building. We were not given an opportunity due to the low key way that the planning application has been handled.

"What is even more disgusting is the fact that several of the graves are occupied by local people who were immortalised in George Eliot's 'Scenes of Clerical Life' published 150 years ago last year and heavily promoted by the local council as a heritage event which involved widespread publicity for the borough and many local events held last year by the council."

Permission was given for the plans, but it was subject to a number of conditions which include the development must take place within three years, no development will take place until full details of access, including construction, alignment, levels, drainage, signage, lighting, footpaths and verges have been submitted to and approved by the council.

In a letter to Mr Lee, the head of development control said: "Less than five letters of objection were received in relation to the planning application submitted for the development and therefore, it was not referred to the Planning Applications Committee for consideration.

"The application has been determined by the head of development control using delegated powers.

"The comments you made on the application were taken into consideration, however, it was felt that these did not outweigh the merits of the proposal. It has been decided to grant planning permission subject to conditions."

Nuneaton-born film director, Ken Loach, has also stepped in and said: "I am shocked and horrified by the plan to turn the historic graveyard at St Nicolas into a car park.

"Whoever proposes it has no sense of history, no sense of the spirit of the place and pays no respect to our past. In fact, in destroying this tangible part of our history these people will also diminish our future.

"The church and its churchyard have outlived many forms of transport and, provided they are not vandalised, will surely outlive the motor car. God save us from the vicar."

Not good news at all,

xxLynnxx

Comment

This sounds like something the local TV news would give publicity . I would have thought Ken Loach's name alone would be enough to make it newsworthy.

Comment

We had local elections in May and a "new" regime. I hope this isn't an indication of things to come.
                    Gwynne

Comment

Hi
                      Thankyou Lynn for info in local paper , we were all shocked when we heard about what was going to happen to Nuneaton Churchyard
                      I know cars and parking are an issue but surely not at this cost

Jebbo:(

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Its really made me see red, parking isnt half as much as aproblem as made out and with the opening of the new ropewalk complex its no worse than before,

I have spoken with Peter Lee, on several occasions and will be trying to get intouch with him this week to see if or what action is being taken,

This is our herritage they are trying to bury under tarmac

xxLynnxx

Comment

Hi Lynn
                          Yes it was Peter Lee who sent out emails letting us know what was happening , asking people to sign a petition,

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                          X