St Neots help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Neots help please

Does anyone have parish records for St. Neots? I am looking for the birth of Joseph Ayre c1809. By 1841 till his death in 1875 he is living in Kent as an Inn keeper ;)
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Hi Jean,

I've just had a look at the St Neots baptism transcripts. According to the index there is an Ares baptism in 1727, an Eyre in 1874, and a few Ayles/Ayres, the earliest of which is in 1895, but nothing around the time period you're looking for.

So I browsed through the baptisms from 1800-1815 and found:
    25 December 1808, Joseph Hare, son of Joseph, labourer, and Elizabeth; born 2 April 1808

A possibility maybe?
    Last edited by Cloggie; 08-06-08, 20:51.
    Sarah

Comment

There are lots of Ayres baptisms in nearby Eaton Socon - see Escan - The Eatons Community Association
      The earliest on there is 1819, but I'm not sure how far back the records on the website go.

You could also try Eynesbury, but their records are only available at Huntingdonshire Record Office as far as I know.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 08-06-08, 20:58.
      Sarah

Comment

QUOTE]So I browsed through the baptisms from 1800-1815 and found:
        25 December 1808, Joseph Hare, son of Joseph, labourer, and Elizabeth; born 2 April 1808

A possibility maybe?[/QUOTE]

Oh yes

[QUOTE]There are lots of Ayres baptisms in nearby Eaton Socon - see Escan - The Eatons Community Association
        The earliest on there is 1819, but I'm not sure how far back the records on the website go.
        [/QUOTE

Off to look at that - thank you very much
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

There is a lot of information about a Joseph Eayre in C.F. Tebbutt's book St Neots, History of a Huntingdonshire Town
          This Joseph Eayre was a bell founder as well as a clock & watch maker, who set up a business in St Neots in 1735. He was baptised in Kettering in 1731 as an adult, so was probably born in the early 18th century. He died in 1772 and his business was taken over by his nephew Edward Arnold.
          According to the book, Joseph Eayre married Sarah Soames in Kettering in 1736, but they had no children.

I wonder if there could be some distant connection though?
          Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, I have made a note of that.
            Jean

Comment

Working...
            X