St Louis help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Louis help please

can anyone please help me find what happened to John Gibson.?

He was born in Heversham or Stainton, Westmorland 1795.
    He sent a letter from St louis in 1835 to his father in Stainton, saying he'd bought some land on the Illinios side of the river.

In 1854 the family were writing but had their letters returned.

Can anyone please find me a death or anything as I haven't access to World Ancestry.

thankyou
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

HI

I dont suppose you have any clue as to whether he married or not? Or if he went out with a brother?

Only asking as I have found in the 1840 US Census, which only gives the name of the head of household and number under a certain age bracket to indicate how many of that age group there is in the whole household.

This is how it goes

Head of houshold being a John Gibson - no occupations shown either,

Males under 5 = 1 / Females under 5 = 1
    Males 5 but under 10 = 1 / Females under 5 but under 10 = 1
    Males 20 and under 10 = 1 / Females 20 but under 30 = 1
    Males 40 but under 50 = 2

No females of the older end. This family are shown as living in St Ferdinand, Saint Louis, Missouri
    Last edited by WendyP; 08-06-08, 19:46.
    WendyP

Comment

thankyou Wendy

When he wrote home I don't think he was married as he seemed to be travelling round america telling of certain people he was meeting up with.

He was getting work the Steam boats with loading freight.

He met up with several people from back home .. telling the family how they were keeping.

I don't think the family ever knew what happened to him.

I feel some strange sense of loyaly .. to find out for them.

Strange all those children ... if he was lodging with somebody, his name wouldn't be head of household.
      He did say he'd bought a small piece of land ..15 acres near to where he was living...he was felling the timber, which would bring more money in than he paid for the land.(not very green)

Jean
      Oh he did say 'the day after he landed at Orlans' ...... or would he mean Orleans
      Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Working...
      X