Passenger lists mid 1800`s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger lists mid 1800`s

I need to find passenger lists from UK to America between 1856 and 1875.
    Any suggestions of where I should be looking? :(
    Elaine

have you tried Castle Garden?

Castle Garden

and Ellis Island

Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Vikki,
      Ellis Island is too late.
      Forgot about Castle Garden - just tried that - no luck! :(
      Elaine

Comment

Have you looked on ancestry.com, Elaine?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Who are looking for maybe we can help out too?
          WendyP

Comment

Kate, someone did a quick check on Ancestry.com for me but couldn`t see anything.

Wendy - you may regret asking that!

I am looking for William Shearly and Rosina Smith! :o

William Shearly (sometimes spelt Shearley or Shirley) - born 4 October 1841 Sankey, Lancashire.
            I have him in 1851 living with parents and know that he went out to America some time - ? mining.

On 12 May 1875 he married Rosina Smith in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan.
            I have a copy of the marriage register which shows one of the witnesses was Joseph Smith.

Their first child Susetta Shearly was born in 1877 in Detroit and the next two children were born in Brighton, Sussex (1882 and 1885)

I have them on the 1881 census where Rosina gives her year of birth as 1856 Whitechapel.
            There are a few Rosina Smith birth registrations around that time but the closest I can find are June 1855 Stepney and March 1856 Stepney.

I need to find out something more about Rosina so that when I get the certificate I can confirm it's the right one. I was hoping to find her on a passenger list with her parents or with someone which will give me a clue as to whether I am on the right track.
            Elaine

Comment

HI Elaine

I see what you mean - does the marriage entry show a possible father for Rosina Smith?

Only asking as there is a tree on Ancestry that shows a George and Harriet as being the parents of a Roseina Smith and a Times notification for when she divorced William Shearly in 1887
              WendyP

Comment

I got the image for the marriage on the new Family Search site
                FamilySearch Record Search
                If you search for Rosina Smith - marriage in Michigan, the top one is her marriage to William Shearly. You can view the image but it doesn´t give parents names on it.
                I wondered if an actual marriage certificate from Michigan would have more information.

I have got the Times extract for the divorce.

I´ll have a look at the Ancestry tree.
                Elaine

Comment

Wendy - I can`t see the tree on Ancestry.
                  What year and place of birth does it have for Rosina?
                  Elaine

Comment

*Waits patiently for an answer as her rellies were probably on the same ship as Elaine's*

Lol !

I would love to find mine, they left between 1860-1870 after they were made bankrupt :o

Joanie

Comment

HI Elaine

Sorry had a power cut.

1855 Stepney

I entered Suzette's details, which come up on their tree as Susan, and put William and Roseina as parents and obtained the info from there. This person even has a photo on their tree of Suzette with her hubby (from memory a Mr Green) and children,.

Here the REFs for the one they have choosen for the 1861 :- RG9; Piece: 290; Folio: 80; Page: 7

And here the 1871 :- RG10; Piece: 555; Folio: 57; Page: 2;
                      WendyP

Comment

lol Wendy.

That tree belongs Belinda who is a newly found cousin of my friend (for whom I am doing the tree). As soon as I find a snippet of information Belinda seems to get it up on her Ancestry tree immediately - but where she has got the parents of Rosina from I do not know.

I will have to message her - there are two Rosina Smiths born in Stepney within a year of each other - am not convinced she has enough evidence to know which one is the right one. :(

Thanks - I hadn't looked at her tree for a few days - she is certainly a quick worker!
                        Elaine

Comment

Found Rosina?

Hi Elaine, I followed your link to Family search record search, Stuck in Shearly and Rosetta Shearly Smith is listed, getting married to Thomas J E Dunk both from England married 24/12/1889 in Detroit, Wayne Michegan she was born in 1856! father Joseph Smith, mother Anthony, would really appreciate your opinion, hope I am not getting excited over nothing!! all the best, Belinda:D just going on Ancestry to look at census results!!! ttfn!!!

Comment

Hi Belinda - I like it! Well done.

Fits in nicely - divorces William in 1887 - returns to Detroit which is where she married in the first place - maybe parents/family lived there. Uses maiden name and Shearly name on her remarriage.

Have you found her in any passenger lists yet? I can check on the Ancestry world wide site and get back to you.
                            Elaine

Comment

Nothing in uk census

Hi Elaine, nothing on Ancestry Uk, if you can find more would be great, will have to look for more!! thanks Bel

Comment

Althogh the passenger lists below are mainly from Ireland you will noticea lot of ships leaving for the States often start from Liverpool so it may be worth your while just looking at these for any clues.

Ships

Janet

Comment

Name: William Shearley
                                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
                                  Date of Arrival: 16 May 1870
                                  Vessel: Tweed
                                  Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
                                  Port of Departure: London, England
                                  Roll: C-4525

Comment

Thanks Sue - don't know how I missed that one! :o

William Shearly married Rosina (Rosetta) Smith in Michigan, 1875.
                                    First child (Susetta) born in Michigan in 1877 but by 1881 they were back in the UK (Sussex).
                                    Rosina/Rosetta and William divorce in 1887 and she obviously goes back to Michigan where she remarries in 1889.

I cannot see William and Rosina on passenger lists when they return to UK or find Rosina when she goes back out to Michigan c1887-9.

Rosina is our brickwall!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, the actual image didn't give a lot away. It just said Williams occupation was nil.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                                        Elaine, the actual image didn't give a lot away. It just said Williams occupation was nil.
                                        They didn't have to record occupations for first class passengers.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X