Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2006 question?

I am a new user and this is probably a very stupid question Lol, but -

I want to create a new file for my oh's family, I have oh on my tree and have added his parents - do I have to delete oh's parents from my tree before entering them on oh's new tree - as they would appear twice - if you see what I mean.... I do not want to have the two trees linked up but kept separate, any help appreciated

many thanks

Open FTM, click on file (top left of screen), click on new.

You will be asked to give this new file a name (make it an easy to remember name, this avoids looking at the wrong file in error next time).

Enter the details as usual in the family screens.

What you will then have on your FTM are two different files, one will be "your" tree and the other will be the tree for your O/H.

You can add to either tree independantly, print trees and reports etc from either file etc.

On my FTM i have birth family, adotive family and a one name study on separate files.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks so much Glen, I have been reading the manual and had confused myself, now I will be busy for the next few hours - thanks again :D

Comment

Oh re the parents names appearing twice,

yes they will appear in both files but you can always delete them from "your" tree if you wish and just have them showing on "his" tree.

To avoid any confusion re the names of the files you could always call one "his tree" and the other other one "her tree".

Note

When you open FTM it automatically opens the last file you accessed, by clicking on file at the top of the screen you will get the "old/new" dropdown appear, at the bottom of the menu will be the name(s) of the last four files opened, click on whichever file you wish to view and you can then edit/add etc as normal.
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 08-06-08, 11:07.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I think I will delete them from my tree xx

Comment

Working...
          X