National Archives at Kew - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives at Kew - Help

I'm coming over to visit my dad for about a month and am hoping to get to the Archives at Kew - but I really dont know what to expect or what I need for entry etc. I am hope to see my Grt Grandfathers military/service records (if it is lucky enough to have survived)

Any help and advise would be recieved with thanks.

From an archive beginner

Michaela:o

Hi Michaela, welcome to FTF!

The National Archives website has lots of useful information.
    This link has information on planning your visit, including how to register for a reader's ticket and what to bring with you: Visit us | Plan your visit to The National Archives

and this link explains about finding WWI service records: British Army Soldiers' Papers: First World War, 1914-1918
    Sarah

Comment

If you are referring to WW1 Army records, have you checked to see whether they are available on Ancestry.
      If you don't have a subscription then give us some details and someone will check for you.
      Elaine

Comment

You guys are great.

Thank you for the information - must have been having a blonde moment (no offence intended) not to think of checking out TNA website.

Elaine you were right I am talking WW1 - the medal card is on Ancestry but not the service record. But I am hoping thats just because of an oversite! You've got to be positive.

- I worked in Kew for 6 years, but didnt start this frustrating family tree business until I moved to the otherside of the world!

Thanks again

Comment

Michaela

Don't be daunted, its not as scary as it seems and the staff are friendly. Do make sure you check the website regularly as they have been making alterations. Do pre-order what you want, as it will save time on the day. You will also be alloted a reading desk in advance. Register in advance too and it will save time.

When you get there they take your photo so be warned. I look demented on my photo as I wasn't expecting it!!!

You need a clear plastic bag (they have them there) to put your research notes & pencils in. Everything else goes in a locker.

And avoid the bookshop or you'll spend a fortune!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think Nell has covered everything, Michaela. I just wanted to add that ordering documents in advance on the website is a really good idea and to say that it is a little daunting at first but, as Nell says, everyone is very helpful and you'll have a great time

Comment

The WW1 service records on Ancestry don't seem to include officers: they're past C and haven't got my CHRISTMAS Grandfather there, nor his elder brother - but I've seen both records at Kew for myself.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I haven't checked Ancestry recently, but the bulk of records they have had on there are WO364, while the majority of surviving records were in WO363. These are at Kew on open access and you don't need a ticket for that.

It's worth thinking of what other records you might be interested in: anyone in the army or navy in the 1800s? Any interesting names that are thrown up from doing a search (but beware, if you search from the homepage some records thrown up in results are not held at Kew)
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Officers records are not included on Ancestry, but those that survive are name indexed on the online Catalogue. You need to put the surname in and just search WO339 and WO374. Unfortunately they just give initial, surname and rank,so hope there isn't more than one man with the same details!
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X