Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census access

what does this meanL

3.4. (4.2.) Digitisation of the 1911 Census James Strachan had confirmed that there were no plans for subscription access in the foreseeable future. The Group felt that TNA should continue to lobby on this point. Chris Cooper asked the Group to pass all feedback to James Strachan.

from minutes of FRC User Group Meeting 3 Oct 2007
    (my italics)
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

UH? I thought the 1911 was being digitised in partnership with Scotland's People (???) preparatory to going on line.

If so, it appears to mean we will only be able to view through Scotland's People, which is a pay per view site, not a subscription site.

OC

Comment

hmmmm - when did they announce the partnership with SCotlands People?
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

and thus will probably be more expensive - why can't Ancestry have this one as well, so we just have one site to find everyone!

Comment

"On 11 April The National Archives (TNA) announced that Scotland Online would partner the UK government's official archive in the forthcoming project to put the 1911 census for England and Wales online"

source: FFHS - Ezine - 1911 Census Update

Comment

I'm struggling for the name - it isn't Scotlands People itself, it is the partnership which enabled Scotlands People to be set up...ohhh, hang on, I'll go and look.

(Ancestry tendered for the 1911 but failed to get it. Can't remember why)

EDIT - Thanks Nell, that's the chappie, Scotland Online.

OC

Comment

I understood that it would be online at FindmyPast.
              Elaine

Comment

ah!

same site quoted above also says
                " From 3 January 2012 the public will have full access to the entire 1911 census, including the information not accessible in 2009. Researchers anywhere in the world will be able to search across the fields of the census by name, address or The National Archives reference, and download high-resolution digital images"

Comment

1911census.co.uk - the official 1911 Census for England and Wales
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine!

Going to be a bit like the 1901 census then, a dedicated pay per view site as well as Find My Past. That's ok, it's what I expected really.(pay per view)

OC

Comment

I HATE pay-per-view :(

Comment

we need to pray for is ancestry digitising a full set of 1911/1912 street directories for the entire country before 2009 so that we know exactly where everyone is
                        Zoe in London

Comment

Me too. You always use up credits on the wrong things!

Comment

I suppose they have to recoup the costs somehow.

As I have perfect patience, I shall, of course, wait until 2017, when Ancestry will buy it.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I suppose they have to recoup the costs somehow.

As I have perfect patience, I shall, of course, wait until 2017, when Ancestry will buy it.

OC
                              *tags thread for reference on 3rd Jan 2012*
                              Zoe in London

Comment

What worries me is this "search by name, address or reference" bit. It may mean that you have to use surname in your search, and there were quite a few people in my tree who refused to be found on the official 1901 census site but only turned up when ancestry got the 1901 census and allowed you to leave out surname (and first name, come to that). Address/ reference is fine if you know where they were!
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Actually, having seen other digitised records, I'm not all that sure that having a surname will help much!

If the ink is faded or blobby, you can often get a false result when you search by name. The recognition thingy in the digitiser seems a bit primitive to me. I'm trying to think of an example, but I can't - too tired.

OC

Comment

I think they will still have to index the names manually rather than try to use any kind of OCR software. I'm just expecting some of my rellies to turn up using unexpected surnames, if you see what I mean! For instance, my great-aunt Amy, there is no marriage or death on the indexes for her so she may well be living with someone claiming to be married to him in 1911, but if so then the only way I will ever find her is by first name, age and birthplace as I would have no idea what surname to look for.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                    X