Help my research is in tatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my research is in tatters

I have been to Leics Archives today to confirm the research that I have been given about my Waterfields. The information that has been shared is:

1. RICHARD WATERFIELD was born 1744 in Leicestershire, Thringstone. He married HANNAH STENSON1 31 Dec 1761 in Belton.

ADM158/3. Richard enlisted 23 December 1768, aged 24 years, Height 5ft 6 and half inches, Hair brown, complexion brown,enlisted in Nottingham.

More About RICHARD WATERFIELD:

Children of RICHARD WATERFIELD and HANNAH STENSON are:
    i. ANN4 WATERFIELD1, b. 1769.

2. ii. WILLIAM WATERFIELD, b. 1771, Leicestershire, Thringstone; d. 21 Jan 1853, Leicestershire, Mountsorrel.
    3. iii. JOHN WATERFIELD, b. 1772, Leicestershire, Coleorton.
    iv. SAMUEL WATERFIELD1, b. 17741; d. 17741.

4. v. THOMAS WATERFIELD, b. 1774, Leicestershire, Coleorton.
    vi. SAMUEL WATERFIELD1, b. 1776, Leicestershire, Coleorton.

vii. GEORGE WATERFIELD1, b. 01 Sep 1777, Leicestershire, Coleorton.

viii. DANIEL WATERFIELD1, b. 1778, Leicestershire, Coleorton.

ix. JONATHAN WATERFIELD1, b. 1781, Leicestershire, Coleorton.

I am descended from Thomas who moves to Mansfield. I am happy with the information from his marriage to the present day. However as there are not any PR records in Coleorton about these Waterfield children of Richard's and Hannah's how does everyone know that it is correct?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Non-conformist?

Can you ask your contact where they sourced the info?

Comment

I'd be very bothered that they didn't have any children for so long after the marriage and then the minute he enlists there are kids popping out all over the place!

Comment

IGI has this

Richard Waterfield
        Birth: About 1744 Thringstone, Leicester, England
        Spouse: Hannah Stenson Family
        Marriage: 02 DEC 1761 Belton, Leicester, England
        Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church

Although personal submissions can be suspect and birth details are vague, the marriage giving an exact date and place does give one more confidence. Did you check Belton parish registers?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There are IGI submitted records with proper dates showing some of those children as the children of Samuel and Mary (I checked Daniel and Jonathan)

George has the right parents. I haven't checked the others.

Comment

I see the marriage date doesn't fit with the one you have!

Comment

I know it scares me too. The Belton records were very jumbled so I was unable to see if there was a marriage but there is an extracted marriage on the IGI for Belton. I thought it was odd that they started having children as soon as he enlists too as what where they doing for 7 years?
              Last edited by Pippa Doll; 07-06-08, 14:22.
              Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Maybe we should start at the beginning?!

How do you know where your Thomas Waterfield was born?

Comment

Oh dear:

Thomas Waterfield
                  Christening: 19 FEB 1774 Coleorton, Leicester, England
                  Parents:
                  Father: James Waterfield
                  Mother: Sarah

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church.

Comment

This is what I know:

1839 Examination of Margaret the wife of Thomas Waterfall of Mansfield FWK concerning the place of her husband's last legal settlement. Taken the oath before 2 Justices of the peace 9th July 1839. Who upon her oath said that she is about 65 years of age and was born as the hath verily believes in Doncaster in the City of York of parents who were legaly settled there - that this was married to her husband by banns at Mansfield about 31 years ago that this had 3 children by her husband namely John, Hannah and Thomas. John and Hannah are dead and Thomas is able to and does maintain himself as is not removable that this with her husband and three children and two children by her husband's former wife were removed from Mansfield by an order of the magistrates about 23 years ago to Thringstone, Leic sd her husband's last legal place of settlement appealed against the order wasfied by Notts Petty Sessions and was confirmed and her husband. They then returned to Mansfield with a certificate from Thringstone. Husband was born at Thringstone and had not gained settlement in his own right. Her husband is dangerously ill.

Comment

Thomas Waterfall of Mansfield born Thringstone- how does he fit in with Thomas Waterfield born in Coleorton?

Comment

Right....and his age at death was????

Comment

Waterfall, Waterfield and Waterfull appear to be all inter changeable.

Comment

But Thringstone and Coleorton aren't are they? Though I see they are near eachother on the A512.

Comment

I know that he died before the 1841 census as Margaret is all alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                                Waterfall, Waterfield and Waterfull appear to be all inter changeable.
                                That's a bit of a sweeping statement...

Comment

I can't see a death for her "dangerously ill" husband on ancestry.

Have you found a death and got the certificate? does the age fit with the suggested birth date?
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

You particularly need his death cert for age as she was his second wife, so it's more likely that he is older than her.

Comment

Thringstone Church was built in 1862 according to Thringstone on the web.

Comment

Any mileage in tracking down the previous removal order? This might give a more accurate place/date of birth, as he would be the one answering the questions.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X