Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else had this reply on a records office marriage record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else had this reply on a records office marriage record?

In early May, I was after a copy of an 1854 parish register page from Maker, in Cornwall, to add to the documentary back-up for the tree of an elderly lady - a church friend of mine. I sent an email enquiry, to which they replied that I should fill in their application form and post it back - which I duly did.

This was the reply:
    Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with a digital image or photocopy of the marriage between Robert Hawton and Mary Jane Bryant in 1854. The Registrar General at the General Register Office (GRO) in Southport has ruled that prices of copies of post 1837 marriages should correspond with prices charged by the registration service. We can therefore only provide a certified copy (copied and signed by an archivist onto a certificate) at a charge of £7.00.
    :(

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

What is the rationale behind this? If you go to the Records Office you can find the image for free and photocopy it for a few p, so it can't be that the Registrar General/Lord High Bong is seeking consistency.

I'd demand to know the exact wording, date etc of this "ruling". I don't think it is general knowledge and I think it is a blinking cheek!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I see Cornwall RO website says

" Our agreement with the Diocese of Truro covers baptism, banns, marriage and burial registers which belong to the individual parishes. The agreement excludes Maker and Rame so we are unable to copy their parish registers. Currently, we are also unable to produce copies of post-1837 marriage registers, as they belong to the Registrar General.

So you are stuffed either way! Seems bizarre to have 2 parishes excluded.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The copyright in the registers rests with the incumbent. That means that it is indefinite - because the incumbency exists even when not filled, until Act of Parliament says otherwise.

The rule could change if the current incumbent gave permission.

I was hoping it meant only that they weren't allowed to send out copies - not that we couldn't go in and get them.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Registrar General can rule whatever she wants it make no difference under the law.

The law states that you can go and copy any register held by a church, this includes those at the diocese archive (often the county record office) without having to pay for a certificate.
          Case law exists where people have contested being charge for certificate when they simply wanted to copy a register entry.

However if you applied at a registrar's office or to the superintendent registrar they can only supply certified copies.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The Registrar General can rule whatever she wants
            That's women for you!! lolol :D

Comment

There used to be a notice on the copying machine in the LDS Family History Library that I use saying that the GRO indexes and copies of marriages from PRs could not be copied.
              Gwynne

Comment

Originally posted by Guinevere View Post
                There used to be a notice on the copying machine in the LDS Family History Library that I use saying that the GRO indexes and copies of marriages from PRs could not be copied.
                I have in my fiche drawer here at home microfiche copies of all church marriages (parish register entries) for Bottesford 1563-1912, Long Clawson 1558-1966, Eastwell 1585-1990, Plungar 1708-1995 except for the years 1717-1754 & 1812, Redmile 1654-1996 and Stathern 1567-1987.
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

I have fiche of 50+ years of marrages at Lowestoft Parish Church bought from Suffolk RO, although they are clearly stamped "for private study only".

Perhaps this was something the LDS was asked to do in return for being allowed to copy the PRs and the indexes.
                  Gwynne

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    I have in my fiche drawer here at home microfiche copies of all church marriages (parish register entries) for Bottesford 1563-1912, Long Clawson 1558-1966, Eastwell 1585-1990, Plungar 1708-1995 except for the years 1717-1754 & 1812, Redmile 1654-1996 and Stathern 1567-1987.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Ooh Guy

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you could look for a marriage at Stathern, Leicestershire of John CHESTER and Eleanor? Eldest child born, that I know of, 1799.

Comment

I could not see the marriage in the parish register so I had a look on the IGI and there were a couple of possibilities shown

The first seems to be guesswork John Chester married Eleanor (no surname) about 1798 Stathern.
                      I can’t see any trace of this marriage in the parish register fiche.

I checked the baptisms as well to see if there were earlier entries but no.
                      In the Baptisms there is

Anne daughter of John & Eleanor Chester Nov. 3

Frances daughter of John and Eleanor Chester May 18 (this may not be accurate as very feint)

Rebeccah Daughter of John & Eleanor Chester Feb 5

Catherine Daughter of John & Eleanor Chester Apr 27

Sarah Daughter of John & Eleanor Chester Oct 3

The second John Chester married Eleanor Johnson 15 Dec 1794 Orston, Nottingham.
                      I don’t know anything about this couple but Orston is just North West of Bottesford, not too far from Stathern.
                      It might be worthwhile checking the Orston registers to see if they had any children there after their marriage to see if this couple stayed in Orston. If no children are mentioned after 1798 there is a chance they could be your couple.
                      Cheers
                      Guy

Comment

Thank you Guy

I didn't expect an answer so quickly, I know how difficult some fiche can be.

I will follow that info up.

Thank you again

edit

The IGI has a Mary Chester born to John and Eleanor in 1797 in Orston
                        Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 07-06-08, 23:24.

Comment

That ties in well with the interval between the other children.
                          It is looking quite hopeful that they are your couple but still need a lot of checking through the original records. ;)
                          Cheers
                          Guy

Comment

Yes, I know that Guy

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                            X