Looking for James Anthony Higho's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for James Anthony Higho's death

James Anthony Higho born 1812, St Luke Old Street, London.

1841 HO107/708/4 Folio: 26 Page: 14
    James Hygho [sic] is with his wife and children, all called Higho and 3 women who I can't relate to him. It says he is "Ind" but he was a watchmaker.

1851 - HO107/1534/333
    Sarah Higho is widowed and with children.

James is mentioned as a juror in Dec 1848 on the Old Bailey online site, and his last known child's birth was registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1849.

So I am looking for his death between Dec 1848 and 30 Mar 1851 (census night).

Merry Monty found this death registration

James Anthony Hio
    1850 Jul-Aug-Sep Sheppey (Kent)
    Volume: 5
    Page: 306

I am uncertain about this as Sheppey is "wrong" district - James worked all his life in City of London/Shoreditch.

Cannot find any Hio/Higho or variants in 1841 or 1851 in Sheppey. In fact the death Merry found is the only "Hio" event.

Rootsweb had a thread about him working 1848-51 at 112 Bishopsgate Street, City of London. This is the same address as his daughter Mary's death cert 1848. But I don't know if the 1851 was a guess as he doesn't appear 1851 census, or whether it is from directories.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 07-06-08, 12:23.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

I would suggest looking harder for someone else to fit that death reg. There aren't many James Anthonys at that date.

On the other hand, Sheppey is only 30 miles away. Some of my ancestors would walk that in a day! What was your man's occ?

Comment

I can't find any other Hio/Higho etc BMD's in Sheppey.

Comment

Oh, it is him, Nell :o

The Times, Monday, Jul 22, 1850; pg. 3; Issue 20547; col F

Higho.jpg

Comment

Just found some Heyhoes in Sheppey in 1851 who originated in Norfolk, curses!
          HO107; Piece: 1628; Folio: 205; Page: 30

Comment

Merry

Just read your last post. I love you and I want to have your babies!!!!

Seriously, I am sooo grateful. I would never have thought of him dying elsewhere or of Hio as a variant.

Yippee!

Big virtual bottle of bubbly coming your way!

Comment

Oooh ta!! lol

Poor bloke though......and dreadful for the others with him - made worse by the fact they only went to enjoy themselves!

Comment

Good research, Merry! - but how sad,as you say.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sarah had lost a daughter less than 2 years earlier. She remarried in 1852 aged 37 and her 2n spouse was a toyboy of 23.
                  They had no children, and only one of her 4 surviving daughters with James Anthony married. The other girls all worked - as domestic servant, tie maker and jeweller.
                  Sarah died in 1906.

Once again, Merry, I am so grateful. I did do a search for "Higho" in The Times,but it kept producing "high" of which there were sooo many instances, so I wouldn't have found this.

Comment

Hello Little Nell

I stumbled accross your posts by accident - I was doing a search on the net for "Higho" whilst undertaking the boring task of scanning all my old photgraphs, so I joined up. I am researching the Higho family on behalf my wife who is the grand daughter of Amy Louisa Higho. As you might understand, carrying out FH research from the Antipodes is not the easiest. I would love to exchange information with you. Getting James Anthony's death details was a big plus for me as I also have been trying for ages.

How far back have you got. I have a very tentative connection to John Hyho and Elizabeth Tyler m 1737. I know there are a couple of Higho descendants in London but have lost contact with them recently.
                    Best wishes
                    Ken Brett
                    Western Australia

Comment

Hallo Ken

I have sent you a private message.
                      Last edited by Little Nell; 24-02-09, 18:26.

Comment

UPDATE

I've recently discovered that many of the bodies buried at Christchurch Spitalfields, where James Anthony Higho and his infant daughter were buried, were excavated when restoration work was done at the church and are at the Natural History Museum and I have a contact person there who I am going to write to to see if James and/or daughter are amongst them.

Comment

good luck Nell

Comment

Hi Nell
                            I have just joined this site because you have been looking into James Anthony Higho. He was my Gt, Gt, Gt, Gt Grandfather and I would be glad of any info you could give me.
                            Regards Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

James' sister Caroline Sarah was my ex's gt x x3 grandmother. I am happy to share info, let me know what you already have and I'll see if I can fill in the gaps!

Comment

POSTSCRIPT

I've just found a short article in The Standard, a London newspaper, reporting that James Anthony Higho had been summoned to appear before Alderman Lawrence at the Guildhall for forcing his apprentice James Lyon to work on Sundays and failing to properly clothe him. Lyon, who'd been apprenticed by the London Society for the Conversion of the Jews,gave evidence that Higho had a long room at the back of his premises where he held balls and sold unlicenced liquor and that he'd been forced to act as pot-boy. Higho admitted the truth of this, but said Lyon had only brought the charge out of spite because he'd given him a thrashing!

An interesting glimpse into life long ago!

Article dated 06 Jan 1849, the year before James Higho drowned.

Comment

How extraordinary!

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's amazing how you can find out so much about some people, yet others, much closer in time, are wrapped in mystery.

Comment

Working...
                                    X