Help with Lancashire and surrounds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Lancashire and surrounds.

I have gone through my David kirkby's will of 1843. It is quite easy to read, but understanding is another matter. LOL.

I've googled till I'm blue in the face and can't really get an answer, so I'll try the experts.

Taken from the will (and all other records) "David Kirkby, gentleman of Thwaite in Monk Coniston in the parish of Hawkshead in the county of Lancaster". So far so good.....

Included in the things he leaves is "all my houses, buildings, out houses, closures and inclosures, that are called and known by the name of Harry Field, all the church field beneath house and field under garden that are situated at and near Dixon Ground in Church Coniston in the parish of Ulverston in the said county of Lancaster".

Then goes on later...."I give and bequeath to my two trusty friends,my neighbour, George Jackson of Yewdale in Church Coniston, aforesaid, gentleman, and my neighbour George MacKereth of Knotthouses in Grassmere in the County of Westmoreland, my nephew in law......"

Q 1....I can't get my head around neighbours being in seperate counties....
    Would he have meant neighbours meaning friends or would the properties be side by side??

Q2.....As I've only ever found Coniston in Hawkshead parish, why would it be mentioned in Ulverston for Dixon Field??

Q3.....Would the Dixon Field that is still in that area be the same place or another place with the same name??

Sorry for giving you all a headache.....but I like to share.

Is there anything illuminating in Genuki?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ulverston
      Historically, the ancient parish included several other chapelries or townships which later became separate civil parishes: Blawith, Church Coniston, Egton with Newland, Lowick, Mansriggs, Osmotherley, Subberthwaite and Torver.

Ulverston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Elaine

Comment

Hmmmm....

Q2.....As I've only ever found Coniston in Hawkshead parish, why would it be mentioned in Ulverston for Dixon Field??
        Says Ulverstone here:

GENUKI: Church Coniston, Lancashire genealogy

The Monk one is at Hawkshead:

GENUKI: Hawkshead, Lancashire genealogy

Comment

Christine.......not that I could make sense of (but that doesn't mean a lot).

Elaine......So Church Coniston would be a seperate parish to Coniston and Monk Coniston?? Actually all this Kirkby family, except the above mentioned David, were baptised in Hawkshead. David was baptised in Blawith.

Comment

Sorry Merry......missed your post. I've been looking at everything but CHURCH Coniston, obviously....

Comment

Lancashire parishes can be very complicated - they aren't always in Lancashire, for a start.

Ulverston was originally a parish overseen by the Abbey of Kirby. Later it was acquired by the Bishops of Lancaster and it is therefore administered as a Lancashire parish.I should say parishes - it was split up.

It was a 17 mile long thin strip of land. It is therefore quite possible that a neighbour (in the sense of "our land touches at some point") could be 17 or more miles away and in another county, but in the same parish.

OC

Comment

Thanks, OC.

Why can't you have easy to understand place names over there instead of reusing them in different places?
                We keep ours simple....Woolloongabba, Indooroopilly, Koolyanobbing, Koombooloombah etc LOL.

Comment

Would Grassmere in Westmoreland also be a neighbouring property??

Comment

It's OK.... just answered my own question!!

Could have touched each other.

Comment

Well, yes, it could be, depending on where their lands touched. Don't make the mistake of thinking their land holdings were in one large piece - they were often bits dotted all over the place. (A fact which is often very useful in tracing the family backwards)

I haven't used Lancashire Tithe Maps, but I HAVE used Cheshire Tithe maps with great success - each field is named, along with the owner and tenant. I expect Lancashire tithe maps are the same. Have a look at the LancsRO website catalogue.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. Will have a look.

Apparently Lancs has been looking after the records from that area that is now Cumbria, and Cumbria wants to keep them, so I'll check now before they get taken back.

Comment

Working...
                        X