The Christian Name "Cerise"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Christian Name "Cerise"

One of coz's rellies has the distinction of being the very first Cerise in Freebmd.

So, was this a fancy Cherry? Where does the name come from?

There are none on Ancestry until 1861, when two small girls appear at opposite ends of southern England, both born in the West Indies.

Poor Cerise Grant died in Hackney in 1877. So, who was the Cerise Grant born in 1885? And where is she in 1891 and 1901?

Help, please!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Have you seen this?

Cerise (color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Your Wiki is better, Pippa: that link just invites me to make an entry!

I am not aware of any French blood in the Grants, but I don't understand why an East End family chose a French name for their daughter.
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It is French for cherry, and also used to describe a cherry colour, but it does seem an unusual name to pick. Were they from the French or English speaking part of the West Indies?

Comment

Father born Shoreditch, mother Billingsgate!

As the parents are William and Sarah Grant, there are several candidates for Sarah, but none of the surnames look the least bit French.

Comment

I can't see the birth reg for the 1885 girl?

Comment

It took me some time:

Births Dec 1885

Cerise Elizabeth Grant Hackney 1b 594

Comment

I suppose it was the same then as it is now - expectant mum hears an unusual name and thinks "Ooh, that's lovely, I'll call mine that".

OR - Cerise might have been a heroine in a story in Pegs Paper!

OC

Comment

Doh! Nice transcription!

So she was still in Hackney for her marriage..............

Here she is in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 1391; Folio 7; Page 8

Comment

Durrrrrrrrrr!

Now why didn't I think of looking for Conie?!

Comment

Can't find her in 1901. I went down the route of mum marrying and Cerise appearing with her stepfather's name in 1901, but it didn't work! lol

Comment

Ooh, if she's Ellen's daughter is she with the Jaynes in 1901?

Comment

Obviously not, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Durrrrrrrrrr!

Now why didn't I think of looking for Conie?!
                            Well I didn't!! I just looked for Grant, b Hackney 1886 +/-1

Comment

And it doesn't look as if she's with the Priddens. All the other children are boys. She ought to be down as a Grant. Heyho.

Thanks for looking, Merry.

OC, I'd have thought that if the name had any publicity, it would have become popular. But it never seems to have taken off in the 1800s.

Comment

If she was a servant in 1901 she might have had a Lady Marjorie Bellamy done to her!

Comment

Phoenix

Nice to know that one of your rellies was in the pink, lol lol!
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Right. Fresh back from a day at Kew, I have the answer!

Mother Sarah was actually Cherry! Cherry Murphy in 1841, Cherry Murphy on marriage, Cherry Grant in 1861..... then Sarah for the next three censuses, Cherry Grant in 1901 and that is the name on her death reg. Why, when Mum thought Cherry was too fancy for everyday use, she saddled her daughter with a frenchified version I dunno, but I reckon OC's notion is the right one.

Comment

Phoenix

Curious! I often wonder what thinking went on when names were chosen. I was named Helen because my father disliked Jessica and my Mum found all the other girl babies in the ward were going to be called Angela!
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Phoenix

LOL! I spoke as one whose grandmother started out as Ethel and finished up as Eithlena!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X