Can Anyone Read Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Read Latin?

Please can someone help with this. In particullar the words underlined in red and the childs name in number 4.

Thanks

Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Ejusdem loci (of that place) I think.

Comment

The child's name looks like Armanda, but someone's written Annam (Latin accusative for Anne) above it.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-06-08, 22:14.

Comment

Thanks so much Mary. Can you also read the word before Ester on the 1st October 1810?
        Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

Not at all sure about that one. Condet... something? I can't see a recognisable Latin word in it. Are these RC baptisms? I see all the godparents are called "sp" (sponsor), except for Esther's - she gets a patronus. Don't know if that's significant.

Comment

Have you worked out what they've inserted after Isabella Malpass's name in the last one? I can't make it out.

Comment

Think the word is "conditionalite" meaning a conditional baptism, which I presume is the RC equivalent of a private baptism?

No, it's not, I've just remembered - a conditional baptism is performed when someone is not sure if they have been baptised or not, so I would imagine Esther to be more than a child.

OC

Comment

Mary,

Yes they are Roman Catholic records. What is the difference between a sponsor and a patronus, I thought they were the same :(
                I think that William Malpass Snr the Patronus was her grandad, dont know if that makes a difference!
                Sara

Comment

I take it you've fathomed out the rest of it? The first one, for example, says:

27th day of September 1810, baptised John son of Joseph and Anna Granger of Lathan's Corner?? Sponsor matron? Sarah Hemworth of the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherub View Post
                    What is the difference between a sponsor and a patronus, I thought they were the same :(
                    I know nothing about RC records, I'm afraid, I just wondered if there might be some difference. Can't think what that other word can be. Conditional? Indeterminate?

Comment

Just seen OC's post - I was wondering if Esther's might have been an adult baptism. Perhaps they used the word patronus for the sponsor of an adult?

The only adult baptism I have is C of E, and it specifies in the register that she's an aduilt.

Comment

Thanks OC.

Mary, their surname was Malpass, but above this says (Morpus) which I believe is how they pronounced it.
                        Sara

Comment

Some stuff about conditional baptisms here; she might be a convert from another religion:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Baptism

Comment

Thanks Mary and OC. I may be back as I have lots and lots like this!
                            Sara

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Think the word is "conditionalite"
                              That's not a Latin word, but it does look like something of the kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherub View Post
                                Mary, their surname was Malpass, but above this says (Morpus) which I believe is how they pronounced it.
                                Ah, that makes sense. The first word appears to be vulg... (?), meaning "commonly", I imagine.

Comment

Taken from Wikipedia

Patronus (plural patroni) was part of the social customs of Ancient Rome, a social term that referred to the senior party in one of several social relationships

Sounds as though the grandfather was the senior party?

Janet

Comment

Mary

I know it isn't a proper latin word, but many priests didn't write proper latin!

I think the C of E also does/did conditional baptisms, I have a vague memory of reading about it on here.

It sometimes followed a private baptism, which was done by a lay person, usually in an emergency. If the Vicar/Priest was not SURE that the proper words and form had been used in a private baptism, he would conditionally baptise the child again, in the knowledge that God would select whichever was the proper baptism.

The "conditionally" bit was "on condition that this person has not already been baptised". The words of the service are slightly different (C of E, don't know about the RC, but expect it is the same)

OC

Comment

I think the note at the end of number 3 reads "N B tres annos nata" which could mean Elizabeth was three years old when baptised.

Roger

Comment

Deleted - I was answering wrong message - sorry

Comment

Working...
                                        X