What does D.F. mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does D.F. mean?

Went to see a parish clerk yesteday who allowed me to copy family names out of a burial register. Copied a husband and wife and noticed they had D.F. in the margin against their names. Asked the p.c. and she didn't know. We looked to see if there was any kind of reference elsewhere but nothing.

Wife died first in January 1970 and husband died the next month in February and both were buried in the same grave in the month they died. They both died in parish ... so.... what does D.F. stand for ....it is not double funeral, don't fill or double fee. HELP ........please.
    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Different faiths?

OC

Comment

Oh Viv I don;t know.

Pity we can't check and see if this occurs anywhere else in the register.

I was thinking it might be a Latin abbreiation but I can't think what it would be.

Bet OC knows!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Our posts crossed.

Comment

No OC, both C of E and does not occur anywhere else in the registers or the index book Nell.
          ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

So I'm guessing it must relate to the fact that they died within a short time. What is the gap between the deaths, are you sure it wasn't a double funeral?

Comment

Her...23rd January 1970 and him...19th February 1970. She was buried a week after she died and ditto for him so not a double funeral.
              ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Well I'm stumped. I've googled without success. If the parish clerk doesn't know maybe its not a recognised abbreviation. Maybe the D is for Death.

a puzzle.

Comment

She's never seen it before. Members of the parish council where there and they were stumped as well. Not a recognised abbreviation and not on a list anywhere.
                  ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

I will have to ask Gill at Shire Hall in Cambridge next time I go.
                    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Are you sure its nothing like the alphabet I.E- A-C, D-F

Danny
                      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Couldn't be the initials of a curate, could it, rather than the vicar?

OC

Comment

or an address in abbreviated form? Something Farm maybe

or the burial place?
                          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

OC, good suggestion but what a bummer, I didn't note down who officiated at each burial ....... Oh well, another trip to Burwell Parish Council Office and I'll also get to copy all the other names I need, yippee!!!

Not an alphabet Danny, as it is not used anywhere else in the record book.
                            ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Not an address or burial place Zoe.
                              ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Sorry folks, thanks for trying. I'm off to bed now. I'll let you know if I find out. Nite.
                                Viv
                                ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Originally posted by Viv View Post
                                  ....and both were buried in the same grave in the month they died. They both died in parish ... .
                                  Wonder if it was a reference to the burial plot, to make sure the grave digger didn't open the wrong one by mistake for the second burial?
                                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith, that sounds plausable. When I do find out I'll let you all know.
                                    Viv
                                    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

"Both buried in same grave" ... Would this have been a double or single plot?

IF a single plot, double filling??

(We can't have double burials in my village churchyard because the land is too difficult to dig to the required depth, but I know of places where it CAN be arranged.)

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The sexton/gravedigger must have been instructed to dig the first grave deep to allow for a second interment on top. And that would have to be booked at the time of the first interment.

OH's aunt was buried (in Scotland) 2 years ago in the same grave as her parents who had died 60 and 50 years previously.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X