X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My head hurts.....

This is a long ish post peeps.

Right,

I have Sarah Watchorn marrying Richard Robinson 12 may 1818 @ melton mowbray, leics. (richard was a widower, and occ a miller, from Waltham, Leics, which is also known as "waltham on the wolds" (have a copy of the Pr)

daughters:
    mary ann b. 1819 @ melton mowbray.
    sarah b. 1821 @ melton mowbray.
    eliza b. 1823 @ melton mowbray.
    harriett b. 1830 @ melton mowbray.

Now I cannot find Richard at all, on any census. (have looked till i'm bog eyed)

I have I think, found Sarah:

1841: - Ancestry.co.uk

1851:

- Ancestry.co.uk

I have found a death for a Sarah Robinson and have it on order (as I cant find my sarah after the 51)

On the 41, there is Eliza with her, I do not know who this eliza is I cannot find any trace of her after this.

on the 51 there are Sarah Jaques and John W Jaques with Sarah Robinson, this is her daughter and son in law. ( I have a transcript of their marriage, and Harriet (her sis) is a witness) I cannot find sarah and john after this NO likely deaths for either of them OR a remarriage.

Can anyone find Richard? or any of the daughters?

(I have Harriett and her 3 marriages) so she is accounted for.

many thanks if anyone can help.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

It's possible Eliza in 1841 is the daughter born 1823 with the wrong age. I have found some wierd ages in 1841, nothing to do with rounding up/down.Ri

Its also possible that Richard died pre-1837, so you'd need to search burial registers.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Melton Mowbray 1813-1891 is on the NBI on FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia
      There are lots of John Robinson hits for burials in Leicestershire but you can't see where they are without paying!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        It's possible Eliza in 1841 is the daughter born 1823 with the wrong age. I have found some wierd ages in 1841, nothing to do with rounding up/down.Ri

Its also possible that Richard died pre-1837, so you'd need to search burial registers.
        yep it is possible I guess that Eliza is one and the same.. with a weird age.. I have found extracted bapts for Mary Ann 1819/Eliza 1823/ and Harriet 1830.

I havent found anything for this Sarah..... (the daughter) I was also a bit concerned that there is such a gap between 1823 to 1830 and no apprarent births....or am I reading too much into it???

Re Richard and dying, thats something I have to look into, but its like he never existed......
        Julie

Comment

Well, a gap of 7 years might be filled with one or two stillbirths/miscarriages.

Or its possible that Richard died before the youngest daughter's birth/baptism.

Comment

well I have just looked on FHO and done a search between 1825-1840 for a death and it threw up 2 possibles, one in leics and one in Leics and Rutland, the latter looked promising but is a 1 yr old child, so not him.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that Tom searched the melton mowbray burial registers 1829 - 1841 for me and nothing there.
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-06-08, 19:59.
            Julie

Comment

I don't know if this is one of yours but I found a George Robinson in Waltham on the Wolds in 1841 occupation Miller age 25, Son maybe?

HO107; Piece 588; Book: 19; Folio: 16; Page: 27
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I don't know why, but miller is one of those peripatetic trades. It might be worth while finding out about the mills in the area: who owned them, who they were leased to etc. There are often books about mills in the county. I found my avatar in a book recently, together with mention of the rellie who leased it - for a very short period in the 1800s.

Also consider wills, manorial records etc. I realise that Robinson is not the easiest name to research!
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                  I don't know if this is one of yours but I found a George Robinson in Waltham on the Wolds in 1841 occupation Miller age 25, Son maybe?

HO107; Piece 588; Book: 19; Folio: 16; Page: 27
                  Yes,. I had seen him Vik, but as of yet am unsure whether there would be a connection or not.

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  I don't know why, but miller is one of those peripatetic trades. It might be worth while finding out about the mills in the area: who owned them, who they were leased to etc. There are often books about mills in the county. I found my avatar in a book recently, together with mention of the rellie who leased it - for a very short period in the 1800s.

Also consider wills, manorial records etc. I realise that Robinson is not the easiest name to research!
                  Wills would be nice, but none of my lot seem to have left anything like that :( I suspect my Richard will be elusive for a while longer.
                  Julie

Comment

I did notice that George was listed as born out of county, maybe finding him in 1851 will give you a place of birth, could lead to finding richards birth place
                    Vikki -
                    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

UPDATE:

Today I have recieved Sarah Robinsons Death cert. States her as being "Widow of Richard Robinson, Miller, Journeyman" the informant was Harriett Pears, (Daughter).

So I guess that this means he could've died anywhere in uk?? if he was a journeyman??

So all i know is that he was dead by 1860., :(

any ideas peeps??
                      Julie

Comment

Julie

journeyman doesn't mean someone who travels! It meant someone who was paid daily (from the French "jour" meaning day). He would have stayed in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Julie

journeyman doesn't mean someone who travels! It meant someone who was paid daily (from the French "jour" meaning day). He would have stayed in the same place.
                          OH, I thought it meant he would travel to find work? :o:o

so I am now looking for a death anywhere from 1829-1860, (but considering I cant find him on any census, then that leaves 10 yrs, which has been covered for the area where he lived)
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X