Any clues for this photo. please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any clues for this photo. please?

My elusive grandparents were travelling stage actors.
    Can anyone say what year this was taken? and also take a guess as to what the ladies are carrying? they look like little boxes to me, anyone?

The ladies' clothes are reminiscent of suffragette pictures.

The ladies could be carrying clutch-bags/purses - which don't have carrying straps.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

just got a red x no picture

Comment

Well pic's definitely still here James

Comment

Yes thanks Christine,I thought probably early 1900s. The ladies however are carrying their handbags/clutch bags and the 'boxes'.

I was thinking could they be on a charabanc trip or perhaps moving on to next theatre!

Comment

I would say about 1905-10.

Is it possible they were books? - say scripts, or even Bibles? None of the men seem to have them tho.
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

I have the picture now

Comment

The mens ties might give a clue?

Comment

Reticules is what they are! They had a little loop which hung from the wrist (if you wore them properly) leaving the hands free.

Any time from 1910 onwards, but more likely 20s and 30s.

OC

Comment

I was looking at the men's collars and ties. There's quite a variety. And the men's hats (flat caps and beret) could be from almost any time. I don't know when the homburg became popular. My uncle (born 1916) wore one for years.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Dorothy,James and OC........reticules are like a purse or bag,so I wonder why they're carrying both.
                      Could be books/Bibles but why different sizes? and as you say no men have them.
                      Men have various forms of neckwear haven't they?
                      I was always told my Grandfather was tall chap, third from the left,back row and wearing his cap back to front :D........or would that be beret do you think John?
                      Last edited by Mau at the Coast; 05-06-08, 22:40.

Comment

Right, I'm with you now...the flat white things are surely prayer books, usually given to a girl at her confirmation. I don't know what men got - probably a prayer book too, but in sombre black!

OC

Comment

Think you could be right OC, young girl at the front looks to be wearing a posy of flowers,on her dress. Might have been her confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mau at the Coast View Post
                            Men have various forms of neckwear haven't they?
                            I was always told my Grandfather was tall chap, third from the left,back row and wearing his cap back to front :D........or would that be beret do you think John?
                            On second thoughts, it's a flat cap, worn sideways (peak facing his right).
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John

Comment

Mau - I've looked again at the photo and am just not sure. I looked on some Fashion History sites, but they seemed to largely deal with ''posh'' frocks ;) but I found this site which might help - I haven't had time to look at it properly myself - but you may find it helpful.

Costume Detective - How to Date an Old Photograph

The photo they show on there as an example is from 1910 and a quick look makes me thin yours can't be far out from that.

I believe I'm right in saying that girls under 16 could wear their dresses a little shorter, but it was thought unseemly for an older female to do so. Also the hats in the photo are similar to yours. The men have a mixture of hats, but also some homburgs (and boaters!)

Going back to the idea that your pic shows them after Confirmation - I would doubt that a group of Travelling players would be regarded as suitable! :D But they might just have gone to church.
                                Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 07-06-08, 22:32.
                                Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

No, I don't think this is a Confirmation picture, as I would expect the girls to be in white dresses.

Could it be a wedding party? They all seem to be wearing their best clothes and they all look happy! (So not a funeral, lol)

OC

Comment

I don't think its a wedding party - the men would have had posher hats and buttonholes, surely and the ladies might have flowers.

They all look quite happy. Maybe just a photo to celebrate their arrival at a new place, or to mark the end of a successful run somewhere?

Or perhaps a member of the company was leaving and wanted a commemorative picture of the company.
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think they are holding something like a program. The girl centre-left has it slightly curled and second-left appears to have it rolled up. ??

Comment

My first impression was that the background was a stage set rather than an outdoor landscape (although I can't see the floor/ground clearly.)
                                        Any chance that it is a cast wearing their stage costumes? In which case, it makes it even harder to date, if they are in period dress for a production.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X