Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many illegitimate ancestors do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many illegitimate ancestors do you have?

hi

Of my direct ancestors i have:

My maternal Grandmother
    My paternal great grandmother
    My maternal gg grandmother
    My maternal gg grandfather
    My maternal ggg grandmother (the aboves mother)
    My paternal ggg grandfather
    My paternal gggg grandmother
    My maternal gggg grandfather

I also have my maternal gg grandmother who's parents married after she did
    My paternal gg grandfather whose parents goy married after he was born

blimey that seems a lot, i certainly have a few gaps in my tree!!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

My G-g-mother
    OH's G-g-father (but with a persuasive idea of who the father was - and he has a tree back for a few generations)
    My Gx2-g-mother (probably - not definite yet)
    My Gx2-g-father (with an idea of who the mother might be - but even that's not known!)
    OH's Gx4-g-father (with bastardy bond in place)
    OH's Gx5-g-mother
    My mother's G-g-mother appears to have been about 21 months premature ;)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

As far as I know, in Scotland, subsequent marriage legitimises the birth.

However, if a woman has a child by each of three different (unknown) men and marries the fourth, are the children legitimised?

Comment

Not as many as you, Robyne

In my direct line, only a gt grandmother and a gt x 3 grandmother, both on my father's side of the family.

There are a few more illegitimates, but on my Mum's side, although none in her direct line, there are quite a few, though often the parents married afterwards.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hugo

Don't know about the law in Scotland, but in England, there were two Acts of Legitimacy. The first, in the 1800s, enabled a child to be legitimised after the marriage of father and mother PROVIDED THAT each parent was free to marry at the time of the child's birth.

The later Legitimacy Act, which I think was early 20th century, allowed the legitimisation of the child of the father and mother, even if they were not free to marry each other at the time of the child's birth.

The Act of Legitimacy applies to each child individually, not wholesale to a family - and the parents must actively re-register the child.

OC

Comment

Just remembered - there's also My G-g-mother whose parents didn't marry because her father had been married to her mother's elder sister who had died. They were recorded, usually, as man and wife, though.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Three out of four of my paternal 2 x GGFs were illegitimate - and I can't find a marriage for the parents of the fourth, although he at least was brought up by his father!

For two of these, I have a very good idea who their fathers were, including a bastardy order for one.

The other one I can't even find a mother for, let alone a father, and as the name is so common in the area I can't even start guessing.

OC

Comment

When its on your direct line, its frustrating as you just have a series of blanks going back on your ancestral chart.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Hugo

Don't know about the law in Scotland, but in England, there were two Acts of Legitimacy. The first, in the 1800s, enabled a child to be legitimised after the marriage of father and mother PROVIDED THAT each parent was free to marry at the time of the child's birth.

The later Legitimacy Act, which I think was early 20th century, allowed the legitimisation of the child of the father and mother, even if they were not free to marry each other at the time of the child's birth.

The Act of Legitimacy applies to each child individually, not wholesale to a family - and the parents must actively re-register the child.

OC
                  Correct the first on 15th December 1926
                  See my website at for Acts of Parliament of interest to the genealogist:
                  actind
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

in my direct line

Paternal line - Great Grandmother but I have hardly scratched the surface of my Brown family (back to 1920 only :()
                    Maternal line - 2 or 3

There are a few more with aunts/uncles/cousins but on the whole they were born the right side of marriage, although some were only just :D
                    Vikki -
                    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I have about 130 direct line ancestors on my tree.

Generally I don't know enough about the last person back on each line to tell if they were legitimate or not, but of the ones I do know about, I don't have any who were illegitimate. The main reason for this is that none was the eldest child, but on mum's side of the tree (which is more than half of the 130) only one of my direct line had an illegitimate child at all - the eldest sibling of one of my my 2xg-grandfathers. Apart from that case, only one of my direct line females on mum's side has proved to be pregnant when they married (my gran was born about 6 months after her parents wedding)! On dad's side a smattering of ladies had their first child before the marriage or were pregnant on their wedding day, with a sibling of one of my directline.

Comment

Hi
                        in my direct line I have 3. The parents of one of these had 7 children together and finally married 25 years after the birth of their eldest child!

I have a fair few who were in various stages of pregnancy when they walked up the aisle mind you!

Terri

Comment

My maternal grandmother's father and my paternal grandmother's 6 step-brothers and sisters.

Comment

I have one 3xgrGrandmother who definitely was, and she had an illegit daughter who only lived 2 weeks.

Another was born 1 month before her parents married, but they registered her birth 4 days after the wedding, by which time she was legit.
                            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Guy

Wasn't there a previous law? I have googled and come up with 1868, but that doesn't seem to be the one I was thinking of - perhaps "mine" was church law, not Statute law.

OC

Comment

My mother - father not named.
                                Paternal grandmother - again, father not named.

As you can imagine my tree is very sparse on certain branches but this only makes me more tenacious on the branches I can follow.
                                Cath.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't really like the title of this thread as I'm not married to my children's father and I don't want to answer "three", but if you mean direct-line ancestors: g-g-grandfather,
                                  g-g-g-grandmother,
                                  g-g-grandmother

Er - that's it, as far as my direct line goes (to my knowledge) but there are plenty on side branches, and quite a few in OH's tree.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                    Hmmm, I don't really like the title of this thread as I'm not married to my children's father and I don't want to answer "three" .
                                    Nor am I, I hadn't even thought of that

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                      Nor am I, I hadn't even thought of that
                                      I wasnt when my children were born, but am now
                                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Perhaps Robyne would recommend a change to the title, and KR could amend it?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X