Newspaper sites as a History resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper sites as a History resource

I was browsing about on the Detroit newspaper sites, because I'm considering a "do you know about this family?" ad. In the process, I found a fascinating section with historical info about the city. I realised that my grandfather would have been there at the time of the mafia mob wars as well as the Depression and Prohibition.

I know that our local paper's site has archive pictures and nostalgia sections.

This is the Detroit one:
    Detroit News Online | Michigan History

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

When I read about my relative's trial in The Times (microfilm at LMA) I found the front page was all about the "cotton famine" due to the American Civil War and inside there was a review of a book I'd read when it was republished by Virago.

It makes everything seem more real, these details.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had a feeling a bit as if I'd been looking at my grandfather on a stage. The spotlight shone on him from time to time, and there might be someone else in the close circle of light. Then, reading those articles about the mafia and the dancing/big bands, somehow it felt as if someone were bringing up more lights on the stage so that there was more visible scenery - and maybe some off-stage cast members making a noise.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Very evocative!

I remember reading a local newspaper as it had an article reporting the inquest on the death of my gt grandfather, and it referred to the floods of the previous year. It also had a gruesome report of a chap on an opentop cab which went under a low bridge and decapitated him.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X