Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins UK

Afrenoon all,

Wondered if anyone here is a member of origins UK.
    Just curious, is it worth the subs?

I usually take out a 3 day pass if there are some records that I would like a look at.

I don't think (for my research anyway) it has enough records to justify a full membership, but I do check it regularly to see what has changed and maybe one day it will be of more use to me.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Indexing for the censuses is much better than Ancestry, but the search engine is lousy.

Some of the databases -eg the apprenticeship records - are taken from manuscript indexes organised on the soundex principle. All surname variations are grouped together. So you have to work out what is considered the "standard" spelling of a name. Lidbetter, Leadbetter and Ledbeater would all (say) be filed as Leadbeater, Smythe under Smith etc.

Check out what databases they have got. Trinity House Petitions is good for mariners' widows. Kite Runner found a PCC will which did not appear on Documents Online. The new Surrey Wills extracts will be very detailed.

I suspect you would find that a limited sub (72 hours?) would be quite adequate.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for these informal reviews. I've look at the site a couple of times and speculated about what it might hold for my research.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks,

Pay as you go it is then.

Comment

Working...
          X