Where to look for military records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to look for military records

I have a GG uncle who had a rather large gap between his children 1906, 1910, 1912 and then no others until 1921.

This made me think that maybe he joined up, I have had a look on ancestry and the only record I can find which may or may not be him is a medal card for David George Haines.
    He obviously survived the war as my grandfather remembered meeting him as a child and he was born in 1930.

Can anyone else suggest where to look

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Did you look at the pension records and service records on Ancestry?

Comment

Hi Mary, Yes I had a look there and on TNA
      Vikki -

Comment

If you print off the medal index card and take it to TNA at Kew then you can use it to find the entry in the medal rolls, which may give you more information.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The only extra information that medal rolls usually give is the battalion the man served with.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ann, someone looked up my great-uncle's entry in the medal rolls and it had his date of joining the army - it turned out he joined up in 1908 as a teenager, a few weeks after his mother's death, which was so different from how I had imagined it happened, that one simple piece of information helped a lot in understanding his life.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That was a good find then! I've looked at lots of medal rolls and have never seen anything like that. But, think this info is usually on the medal roll just for the SWB, not the other medals.
              Last edited by annswabey; 05-06-08, 18:15.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Vikki

Perhaps this was just an example of unwanted baby after years of using contraception? Ask Mr & Mrs Blair!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I did wonder about that Nell, I suppose there are a few reasons for not having children, maybe she suffered miscarrages/stillbirths. I just thought the military might be one avenue to explore.
                  Vikki -

Comment

When did contraception become generally available?

Comment

I don't think it was widely used till the 20th century, although various methods had been known for much longer.

There's an interesting article in Wikipedia about the history of contraception:

Birth control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(still cringing at the idea of using beeswax )

Comment

Hi Vikki
                        I have just joined up to the forum and was looking at all your previous messages concerning the Haines family and came across this one. David George Haines was my grandfather. No he did not join the military, just a big gap between the first three and the last. My father was the third child. The last one is still living.

Cath

Comment

Working...
                        X