No announcement yet.

Would you say this is the wrong cert???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you say this is the wrong cert???

I thought I had got the right one but not so sure now
    Job Woodcock born 1809 Winfathing Norfolk
    living at 26 Wilton Street Westminster as a labourer to a Brewer
    in 1851 and 1861
    His wife Sarah appears as a widow in 1871 living in Lambeth with her daughters family
    have her death cert died in lambeth
    he and his siblings all had biblical names but did sometimes use ordinary names
    for instance Ephrain becomes William
    The cert I got was for a John Woodcock died 1866 Marylebone Workhouse occupation Bootmaker ????
    I have tonight found a John Woodcock born 1810 Walsingham Norfolk living as a pauper occupation Bootmaker funny enough and it does say married on the 1871 census in Highgate Infirmary Kentish Town
    Could it be this is the right man ?????????????
    any help appreciated

If he is on the 1871 census then he can't have died in 1866, or am I misunderstanding what you're asking, Val?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I know its late, I'm confused. If the death cert for the bootmaker says he died 1866 how can he appear, however poor, in 1871?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        I know its late, I'm confused. If the death cert for the bootmaker says he died 1866 how can he appear, however poor, in 1871?
        Also
        Is Winfathing, Norfolk any where near Walsingham, Norfolk ?

Getting too late to look in the Atlas

There's a Winfarthing (with an 'r') can not see a Walsingham
        Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-06-08, 23:35.
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I am sorry got you all confused the cert I have is for a John Woodcock died 1866 Bootmaker
          but as I thought it was wrong had another look at the census records and there is a John Woodcock in 1871 in Highgate Infirmary coincidently another Bootmaker

Comment

Surely you should be looking on the 1861 for extra men who might fit the death cert?? *feels confused*

Comment

Or do you mean the man in the infirmary in 1871 might be your man and his wife should have said married, not widowed?

Can you find two bootmakers in 1861?

Then can you find the other man's wife in 1871? If you can, then what's her marital status?

Comment

It is on the map as Little Walsingham and Great Walsingham, but they are nowhere near Winfarthing.
                KiteRunner

Comment

:( given up
                  can't cope

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

sorry if I still confused people and thanks for trying
                    My Job Woodcock is not on any census after 1861 so looked for his death as this John Woodcock almost fitted the bill I sent for the death cert ,the informant was somebody who worked at the Workhouse .
                    His wife is with relatives in 1871 .
                    My worry is this man was a Bootmaker mine was a labourer, so I then searched the census records again and found this other John Woodcock born 1810 which is nearer the date, as a pauper it says married but again he is a Bootmaker , I do know mistakes are made over where they were born but occupations ????
                    In other words I cant find my Job Woodcock after 1861 nor can any other members of my family who are also researching them.

Comment

I'm looking through deaths on FreeBMD

This is of absolutely no help but there's a
                      Woodcock ... William Farr T :D

made me smile ;)

Comment

There was a bootmaking industry in Norwich. Many Norfolk men would have been drawn to Norwich, then taken that trade to London. There would be nothing unusual in several men with the same name pursuing it (and falling on hard times).

Job might have deserted his wife, emigrated, got blind drunk fallen in the Thames and his body never identified....

It would also be perfectly possible to change occupation. I don't imagine brewers' labourers required formal occupations. Unfortunately, Norfolk people, particularly singletons, are often not too specific about their origins.
                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          There was a bootmaking industry in Norwich. Many Norfolk men would have been drawn to Norwich, then taken that trade to London. There would be nothing unusual in several men with the same name pursuing it (and falling on hard times).

Job might have deserted his wife, emigrated, got blind drunk fallen in the Thames and his body never identified....

It would also be perfectly possible to change occupation. I don't imagine brewers' labourers required formal occupations. Unfortunately, Norfolk people, particularly singletons, are often not too specific about their origins.

oh dear a lot to think about then , I meant to change from Brewers Labourer to Bootmaker, not the other way round seemd a bit much ,was hoping it to be a bit more straight forward than that thanks Phoenix

Rachel are you sure you dont make them up ????
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-06-08, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Rachel are you sure you dont make them up ????

I was searching using the surname only ... poor little lad he was only a year old ... Dec. 1869

Just imagine going through life saddled with that :(

Comment

some people dont stop and think before naming their child do they ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                My worry is this man was a Bootmaker mine was a labourer, so I then searched the census records again and found this other John Woodcock born 1810 which is nearer the date, as a pauper it says married but again he is a Bootmaker
                                But in your first post you seem to say that John Woodcock b 1810 was still alive in 1871, so how can this be HIS death cert in 1866?

*goes for a lie down*

Comment

1861 Job Woodcock b Winfarthing 1809 brewer's labourer
                                  1871 John Woodcock b Walsingham 1810 bootmaker
                                  1866 John Woodcock bootmaker dies

All the above are facts. Val's question is whether Job changes his name to John and either dies in 1866 or is alive in 1871.

The three facts may refer to 2 men or three.
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB The John dying in the workhouse: if records survive, a settlement examination may say where he was born and what previous work he had taken.

Comment

By the way, Winfarthing is nowhere near Great and Little Walsinghams, as I think I said before, so it's not very likely that somebody born in the one place would say the other by mistake.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

I had a look at all the boot* and shoe* people called Woodcock and varients in 1861 and the only one of roughly the right age in the London-ish area is the John who was still alive in 1871 :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X