How to add an adopted child ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add an adopted child ??

I have a family that have a child on the Census with them which says adopted.
    I do have the childs birth cert so know the mothers name, she was unmarried so no fathers name .
    Is there a way to add it to the FTM programme using her own mothers name ??? but still having her with the family ??
    I doubt she was really adopted just brought up by my lot.
    Thanks

Can't halp you Val but I am interested in the answer as I have a similar situation. Brother of my grandmother "adopted" a child who was born in 1910 and he was brought up as their son. I have added him with the rest of their children and just put a note against his name about them bringing him up. He didn't take their surname though, kept the one he was born with. I don't have his birth cert but I think I know who his mother was as I found a death for a girl in 1918 with the same surname. I really ought to get that birth and death cert. :o
    He would have known his own mother as he would have been 8 when she died.

Comment

thing is Margaret if I have her mothers name somewhere in my tree might help with contacts as I would love to know what happened to her as she was only 13 when she had this baby .

Comment

I have FTM 2005 and this is what it says to do..

To enter adopted, step and/or foster children:

1. Enter the child normally

2. Ensure the cursor is anywhere in the row of the child.

3. On the People menu, click Other Parents.

4. In the Parents of [child's name] dialog box, find the "Relationship with father" and "Relationship with mother" fields. Click on the drop-down arrow. A drop-down menu will appear.

5. Click on Adopted, Step, Father, or another appropriate relationship description.

6. Click OK. The dialog box will close and the new relationship will be noted.

Does that help? I haven't tried it myself though.
        Sue

Comment

Just experimented with this. lol learnt something new!

Might come in handy when there's a child living with grandparents (or other relation) and don't know who they are. Could use that as a temporary place to put the unknown relative. - does that make sense?? :o
          Sue

Comment

I have the 2006 version of FTM and the other parents bit is greyed out.

Comment

Oh Margaret, I don't know then :o Perhaps someone who has the 2006 version will help.
              Sue

Comment

I have 2006 too Sue what a shame as that would have worked , wonder why they changed the system ??? might email them

Comment

Actually, why are a lot of things greyed out?

Comment

You can only select the "other parents" option from the childs view.

If it is greyed out that is because you haven't got the "other parents" entered, probably because you either don't know who they are or because you don't regard them as relations and have omitted them from your tree. Once a second set of parents are entered you can then select the relationship to show as "natural" or "adopted" in trees and reports.

Answer
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

So, if I unattach him from his adopted parents, then what.
                      It still doesn't give me the option of other parents. I can't name the real parent as I don't know it.

Comment

I think it only works if you are on the family view page of the adopted child's parents, the child is listed and the curser is on the child. It doesn't work (greyed out) if curser is on one of the adopted parents.

Is that what Glen has just said? :o
                        Sue

Comment

Oooh I've done it

Comment

lol Well done Margaret.
                            Sue

Comment

I unattached the adopted child from the adoptive parents which is where I had put him. He has a different surname.

I then put his mother in as Unknown and his surname.

I then went back to the adoptive father and on Fix Relationship, I clicked on attach child amd found him in the index of names.

It then asked me which type of parent I wanted, I changed the options to adopted on both father and mother and hey presto.

Comment

The other parents option would not be available until another parent is named.

Let's just assume the surname is Smith;

By entering the mother as unknown+Smith there is now another parent named, the "other parent" option is no longer greyed out and this then allows the "other parents" option to work
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

the problem I have is as far as I know the child was not legally adopted so do I put the new surname or the mothers surname ???? and how can I attach a child to a non existant mother ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    the problem I have is as far as I know the child was not legally adopted so do I put the new surname or the mothers surname ???? and how can I attach a child to a non existant mother ???
                                    Val

I put in the name as an unrelated person and then put the mothers name as unknown and the surname of the child.
                                    There were no legal adoptions before 1927 I believe.

Then go to the people who adopted the child and click on fix relationship and attach child. Find the child in the list and then when it gives you the options either click on adopted or foster which you think is better.
                                    I had another one that was always with the family as nurse child, I put her down as foster child.

Comment

hi Margaret silly question coming how do I put a child in as unrelated person

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        hi Margaret silly question coming how do I put a child in as unrelated person

click on people

click on add unrelated individual

add the childs name, male or female box which ever, then add the unknown parent as I described previously

Comment

Working...
                                        X