Ancestry "New search" snag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry "New search" snag

Ok, I am fully aware that I am the only person in the world who is going to be affected by this, but:

My family loved daft names. I have a Kirkham Kirkham. His daddy is called either Eli, Eliah, Elihu, Elijah....whatever you like, really, and his mummy is Elizabeth.

Cannot find them in 61, so I switch to search for "Kirkham". New search does not recognise this as a forename and gives me one million people with any old first name, surname Kirkham.

It would seem from this that the new search will only search on forenames alone if it recognises it as a forename, even though I also entered parents as just Eli and Elizabeth - no surname.

Moan over.

OC

That's ridiculous. Surely it isn't going to be a permanent feature?

Comment

can you not just do Kir*** or Kirk***

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Rachel

I think that would be even worse, wouldn't it? Or do you mean for the surname?

I have already trawled through every Kir* anyway. Mine are either all dead, gone to the moon or mistranscribed as something else which doesn't begin with Kir.

I have half-heartedly checked deaths, but not in the mood to do it properly tonight.

I've given Ancestry some feedback, haha, but doubt if they will see it as much of a problem - it is only me who has Kirkham Kirkham, Holden Holden, Briggs Briggs, Fish Fish, Marsden Marsden.......ad infinitum.

OC

Comment

OC......you probably have this one but...

Baptism 13th July 1864 Holy Trinity, Bolton

Kirkham Kirkham son of Agnes Kirkham (a single woman)
          Abode.. Nelson Square.

Comment

Loads of people have unusual Christian names, you should definitely send them some feedback. I can't believe it's intentional.

Comment

oh dear

I tried Kir*** Kirkh*** (and mother's name)
              this was not good

and then just the first name Kirk*** (and mother's name)
              The results were definitely more interesting

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

there's a Kirkup Kirkup :D

Comment

There is a public member tree on Ancestry. Kirkham Kirkham with parents Eli and Elizabeth

Is that the one you are looking for on the census?

Comment

Libby

Thanks, I should have said mine was born 1850. This lot don't have an Agnes anywhere, so hers must have been spontaneous combustion, lol.

Rachel

I'm off to look at Kirkup Kirkup - that sounds promising and I must have missed it amongst the millions of others.

OC

Comment

Tree on ancestry says born abt 1851 Lancs and died 1926 Idaho USA

Is that the one?

Comment

I just can't get on with their new search at all. Every time I try it I give up and go back to the old one. I always seem to get those ranked results with random matches on various databases with stars next to them, but the kind of search I always do on the old one is the one that comes up with a list showing how many matches there are against each separate database and then you choose which one to look at. Please say there is a way of doing that with the new search!
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Libby
                          Rachel
                          I'm off to look at Kirkup Kirkup - that sounds promising and I must have missed it amongst the millions of others.

OC
                          Ooops sorry OC, I was only mentioning it because I thought it as unusual as yours

Different parents :o

Comment

Margaret

Well done! Right people - notice they couldn't find them in 61 either - bit worried about old Eli dying aged 100 though.....

So I was (sort of) right - they went to Utah, but long after 1861.

Hmmm...don't know what to think, really. If I had searched from the home page I would have found him straightaway....but I always refine my searches. I am either looking at census records OR I am looking at BMDs OR something else specific and I prefer not to have everything cluttered in together.

Perhaps I need to remember to search unusual names from the home page, and the more common ones from the seach records page!

OC

Comment

Could this be them??!!

Eli is now William Kershaw
                              Betsy is Betsy Kershaw
                              Kirkham Kershaw aged 11
                              there's a James Kirkham on the following census but there's a Jane Kershaw on this one aged 9
                              Benjamin Kershaw fits with Benjamin Kirkham on the next census

All born and living at Over Darwen

I haven't got round to looking for the Kershaws on any other census to eliminate them, but there isn't a birth reg for a Kirkham Kershaw! lol

*falls down exhausted*

Comment

Oops:

RG9; Piece: 3109; Folio: 99; Page: 13

Comment

OC

I usually do the same as you. I have each individual census bookmarked as well as the bmd's and army records etc.

Just decided to do the home page just to see what it threw up. :D

Comment

Merry

Oooh, that sounds like them - Benjamin is a name which appears in just about every Kirkham family. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if Eli is James - I have a Jonas in the same family who turned into James!

Thankyou, off to look...

OC

Comment

Oh! Another snag!

You cannot search by census ref numbers under the new search system! Bah! That is DEFINITELY no use.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Oh! Another snag!

You cannot search by census ref numbers under the new search system! Bah! That is DEFINITELY no use.

OC
                                        OC

Can't you go back to the old system?

I can't even get the new one to work on my laptop. Won't bother to try either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X