Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parish Register - Will this give me the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish Register - Will this give me the answer?

My grandfather, William John Beaumont married my grandmother Elizabeth Syratt in 1913. William's father's name is also shown as William John Beaumont and I don't think this is correct. The only reason for this is because I have struggled to find his birth and have been contacted by people to "claim him" and the name of his father they suggest is not William.

My thought process is to find the Parish Registers and see if this gives another first name for the father? If so, where would I be able to locate the Parish Register. They were married in Shoreditch, London?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be apprecaited?

Thanks

Hi Gill, Have you looked at the 1901 census to see if you can find him there?

What was his age on the marriage certificate and his fathers occ?
    Fiona. xx

Comment

Yes I have looked on the 1901 but not successfully. Their marraige was 25 July 1913 at the Register office in Shoreditch. His age on the marriage certificate is 21 years and his father's occupation was carman.
      Gill

Comment

You need to consider the possibility that he was illegitimate, and his birth was registered under his mother's maiden name. A lot of people invented a false father's name to put on their marriage certs. If that's the case, the parish register isn't going to help.

As Fiona says, your best bet to begin with is to try and locate him on the 1901 census.

Comment

Who were the marriage witnesses? Do their names help at all?

Comment

The witnesses were Emily Beaumont who I presume is William's sister and a Florence Jenkins but no idea who she is.

Comment

There is a William Beaumont the right age living with his grandparents in 1901.

RG13; Piece: 225; Folio: 96; Page: 47
              Fiona. xx

Comment

There's one that I think might be better: a William Beaumont aged 11 living with parents William and Georgina in Shoreditch.

Class: RG13; Piece: 279; Folio: 103; Page: 51.

Can't read the father's occupation: something carrier?
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-06-08, 20:11.

Comment

The grandparents are Charles and Louisa Frost and there is a marriage in 1887 for a William John Beaumont to an Emily Frost.

Just off to see is I can find William ans Emily. And Emily with her parents to confirm.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

The one in Shoreditch is probably wrong, because this seems to be the matching birth:

Births Sep 1889
                    Beaumont William George Shoreditch 1c 113

Comment

1891 William J Beaumont with an Emily and he's a Carman. Also a sister Emily and Harriett.

RG12; Piece: 190; Folio 30; Page 54
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

Mary - If he was 21 when he married in 1913, that would suggest a date of birth circa 1892. If the censs record you suggest shows a boy of 11 years in 1901 that suggests birth circa 1890. Am I being pedantic?

Comment

Ah, just seen the witnesses - I missed that before. Fiona's find is looking promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                            Mary - If he was 21 when he married in 1913, that would suggest a date of birth circa 1892. If the censs record you suggest shows a boy of 11 years in 1901 that suggests birth circa 1890. Am I being pedantic?

The younger people are, the more accurate their age should be on the census, but the age given on marriage isn't necessarily correct; people didn't always know their exact ages, so it's as well to be a bit flexible.

However, the Shoreditch birth seems to rule the 11-year-old out, and Fiona's find is looking quite promising.

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                              1891 William J Beaumont with an Emily and he's a Carman. Also a sister Emily and Harriett.

RG12; Piece: 190; Folio 30; Page 54
                              Ah, brilliant!

Comment

Mary - Its definitely William John, not George, sorry!

Comment

Trying to find this on ancestry and having trouble, its telling me it can't find the reference you suggest but I will keep trying.

Comment

Mary - Its definitely William John, not George, sorry!
                                    Yes, that's why I said the Shoreditch birth shows that the 11-year-old is the wrong person.

I think Fiona's found your family.

Comment

And here are William's parents William and Emily in 1901, with a daughter Emily aged 11:

Class: RG13; Piece: 227; Folio: 71; Page: 5.

I wonder why your William was with his grandparents? They had two other grandchildren with them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                                        Trying to find this on ancestry and having trouble, its telling me it can't find the reference you suggest but I will keep trying.
                                        Search for William J Beaumont born in Hoxton.

Comment

Working...
                                        X