Great Gran Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Gran Pic

I have been sent this image of my great grandmother, can anyone give a rough date, pre WWI or post WWI? I did wonder whether it was perhaps taken during the war hence the relative lack of men, but not sure, would appreciate opinions. Thanks

Most of the ladies appear to be wearing the same blouse, is the girl in the middle wearing a Girl Guides uniform?
    A group of factory workers?
    Last edited by James; 03-06-08, 08:59.

Comment

It looks post ww1,just, it looks like a group of female workers with the bosses, do you know where it might have been taken, what town?
      Last edited by Just Barbara; 03-06-08, 11:54. Reason: just saw the other man

Comment

Lovely big pic
        The two chaps wearing ties have very uncomfortable looking collars (collar pins ... is that what they're called ?)

Does that date it at all ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Well it's East London I know that, great gran lived in Bethnal Green, then moved to East Ham around 1914/5, so it's quite possibly in one of those two areas. My great gran is in the middle row, if you look at the two girls/young ladies in the black dresses on the front row, great gran is directly behind them with her hand resting on ones shoulder. She was born 1893, so her age may give some clue to date, she looks about 19 or 20 to me but could be wrong.

Comment

Is a lovely pic isn't it Rachel, wish I knew a bit more about it and why it was taken. I love the way the elderly lady in the front is still wearing her Victorian shawl, like she's from one era 1880's/1890's and there from another altogether!

Comment

Are they perhaps machinists in a clothing factory? Except for the young girl in front, all the ladies seem to have short or tied-back hair, possibly for safety reasons. Or maybe it just happened to be fashionable

Comment

I think the women's hair is 1920/30s bob style.
                Rose

Comment

I think the clothes are a bit early for 20s and 30s and noone has a shingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                    Are they perhaps machinists in a clothing factory? Except for the young girl in front, all the ladies seem to have short or tied-back hair, possibly for safety reasons. Or maybe it just happened to be fashionable
                    Great grans wedding certificate in 1915 does not list a profession for her, but I suppose it's possible, the women all seem to have very similar hairstyles don't they, and the men too, all slicked back. Then again perhaps the local barber was offering discounts!

It looks more like Bethnal Green than East Ham to me, which would seem to suggest it's pre 1915. My great grandmother is certainly not late twenties there, early-mid at most, so can't be later than 1919 certainly.

Comment

It's a shame we can't see Gt Gran's left hand and her 'ring' finger.

She has a ring on the 3rd finger of her right hand, but that doesn't help :(

Wonder if she's showing it off for some reason ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Have managed to get some more info on the photo from the sender, apparantly this photo also shows my great granmothers mother, she is the lady at back left with hand on hip, nevers seen a photo of her before! I've also been told it is indeed a work photo, taken at a Jewish run sweatshop where they both worked. Still don't know date, but interesting about the ring though Rachel.

Comment

I would guess the photo was taken around 1910-1915.

I also think that (and apologies if I'm wrong) that Jewish women wore their wedding bands on their right hands, not their left?

Joanie

Comment

Well that could be it then !

Can't see clearly enough when enlarged to tell if it has a stone or is a plain band ....

Comment

Oops might have unintentionally mislead you there by not making it clear, great gran was not Jewish, nor are the majority of the workers I imagine, the company and owners were Jewish.

Possible photo may have been 'reversed/Mirrored' though?

Comment

I would say its 'reversed/Mirrored'

The red circles are all rings.... id say wedding rings on a 'reversed/Mirrored' picture
                                I’m no genealogist …
                                Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                                ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                                  Oops might have unintentionally mislead you there by not making it clear, great gran was not Jewish, nor are the majority of the workers I imagine, the company and owners were Jewish.

Possible photo may have been 'reversed/Mirrored' though?

Not reversed
                                  Look at the way their clothes are buttoned

Comment

the men look jewish,could be in the tailoring trade,pre war brenda xxx

Comment

I wouldn't want to tangle with the woman sitting second from the right. Was she perhaps security?
                                      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Formidable to say the least. Don't think I'd like to have got on wrong side of her!

Comment

Working...
                                        X