British Army records on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army records on Ancestry

I haven't bothered with these until today as none of mine seemed to be on it, but they are now!
    Just been looking at granddad's, then spotted his brother so had a look at those & not only was he held as a prisoner of war by the Germans, there is a copy of the death certificate for his son on there!

So much detail with addresses & everything, I didn't realise how good they were!

Are they still being added?

Joanie

The last update was on 14th April. Not sure if they are all there now or if there are more to come.
    Elaine

Comment

Joan if he was a POW, it's worth checking the NA site, as they has some records of POWs from ww1 there.

Comment

Really? Thanks Peppie will go & look now.

I didn't know that Elaine, although I still can't find my other granddad's yet.

I did find one chap with the similar name he was imprisoned for being a conscientious objector! Mind you he was 40 when he was enlisted.

I thought they put the place where they were born on these records?

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
          I didn't know that Elaine, although I still can't find my other granddad's yet.

Which army records are you looking at? If it's the British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920....those are the ones where less than 50% survive, so you may not get to see everyone you are looking for :o

Comment

Ooo Merry yes I was ! Maybe that's why it isn't there then

The NA takes you back to Ancestry anyway for those records so that it much help really, lol!

;)

Joanie

Comment

They now include surnames beginning A- H with others to follow eventually but as Merry said a lot of records were lost bombing raids in WWII (including my family's I think:()
              Sue

Comment

Yes, about 40% were lost in the Second World War. I have found one Great Uncle on there with much detail, but can find nothing on another Great Uncle of the same family, so I can only assume that one lot survived and the other lot did not, such a pity.

janet

Comment

Don't give up hope - one of mine eventually turned up, having been misfiled amongst someone else's papers and therefore not in the original index..

There were only about 4 sheets, one badly damaged, but it also contained one sheet that listed ALL immediate family, including my father, as a much younger half-brother. It was the best "find" I've ever had as it linked the possible medal card (unreadable) I'd found and also a very likely CWGC commemoration.

I'd been searching for info for over 20 years and had even had someone look at Kew about 10 years ago, to no avail.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have not givenup hope completely as I do keep looking and hoping there is some info out there somewhere. I have only been looking for two years for this particular person, so I have a long way to go!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                    X