Physical characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical characteristics

The family physical features are - Dark/black curly hair, broad nose, full lips - some members of the family with wiry, almost afro hair, and darkish complexions - all quite large-boned

Yet we all have bright blue eyes!

Any ideas please?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Dark hair and blue eyes is often thought to show an Irish connection - don't know about the rest though!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Spain? Sephardic Jews?

Eye colour is complicated. Blue eyes are the default colour - no genetic input instructions. This is either because both parents were blue eyed, OR because there was a genetic "mistake" when programming eye colour.

I think it is extremely unusual for people of, say, half black lineage to have blue eyes - brown is a dominant eye colour and would always normally over ride blue - except in the case of a genetic "mistake".

I have dark hair (ok, I HAD dark hair, lol) very thick and frizzy, but blue eyes. However, my skin is very pale and this indicates my Scottish inheritance on my mother's side. I am also big boned and tall, this time from my father's side.

I don't think you can draw too many useful conclusions from physical appearances though.

OC

Comment

If it's Spanish/N African we're after, perhaps we're back to Ireland???

The Irish - more Spanish than Celtic? - Killarney Ireland

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Joan,

Both my husband and my eldest son are dark in complexion and have the most vivid blue eyes. I am dark with brown eyes.

I have often wondered about the origins of hubby's family. His family have been so hard to track as they were supposedly gypsies and don't appear on many census records that would give me a few clues.

Allie
          Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Thanks Janet, OC & Allie

I have wondered about this for years - ever since an optician told me that I had an exceptionally wide epicanthus (bridge of the nose), which was a negroid feature, and I had to have a pair of glasses especially made in Germany and flown over - I then promptly trod on them!! - accidentally - and my sister's hair is really Afro.

So I do wonder (and would be so excited to discover I had an exotic background)

Nil Desperandum
            Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 01-06-08, 20:45.
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Muggins

Well, if you wanted to throw money at it, you could easily find out your racial origins and possibly pinpoint an exact area!

I think there is an area in Northern Spain which produces dark haired people with blue eyes.

But I would think that Sephardic Jews would be more like it - they too have bright blue eyes and are of black origin.

OC

Comment

Thank OC - do you, or does anyone else by any chance know about Turks and their physical features? This is just based on a throw-away remark my late mother once made'

Thanks
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

What about Armenian? My great aunt married a Turkish Armenian and he had blue eyes and thick black wavy hair. All his daughters have blue eyes, course dark hair and rather heavy features (esp noses!), just like him.

Comment

Here he is with wife and children:

(just an excuse to post up a photo really!!)

Antranik Magarian.jpg

Comment

David Dickinson on the TV is half Armenian.

edit - and his father looks just like that.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh that came out smaller than I expected!!

Anyway.....take my word for it! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          What about Armenian? My great aunt married a Turkish Armenian and he had blue eyes and thick black wavy hair. All his daughters have blue eyes, course dark hair and rather heavy features (esp noses!), just like him.
                          Merry, that description just rings so true! and fits in with what my late mother said.

But why on earth would an Armenian baby be taken in by a poor family in Atrincham in 1919? - with a "father" who despised him.
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                            But why on earth would an Armenian baby be taken in by a poor family in Atrincham in 1919? - with a "father" who despised him.
                            Erm...a baby 100% Armenian (or whatever) or a baby 50% Armenian?? (if you see where I'm going with this!)

Or......family take in refugees but end up with just the baby for some reason and they bring him/her up?

Comment

Well, people do the oddest things for the oddest of reasons.

I know someone who was brought up by an elderly "Aunt". In fact, she had been unofficially fostered by this lady, as a temporary favour, and the mother never came back to collect the child. There was no blood relationship.

OC

Comment

For various reasons, the Armenian idea makes a lot of sense to me - I could kiss you, Merry!!! - and OC - and everyone else!!! :D:D:D:D

Even if it comes to nothing, at least I have a completely new avenue to explore ( plus a cert I am waiting for) - instead of going round in circles.
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

*Pulls up comfy chair to await developments*

Comment

At the risk of muddling up two threads, you say on the other thread that a relative was a poor law officer.

This could just mean that he was casting round for someone he knew, to take on this rather gorgeous looking baby....or it could mean he knew whose responsibility it was to care for the child.....

Have you considered that a male member of X's family was the father and it was the mother who was Armenian?

OC

Comment

Well I hope it's very comfy, Merry, as you may have a long wait!!:D

OC - I haven't really thought about any of those things before, as it is the first time the idea has cropped up

My head is spinning

Cheers both of you - and everyone else
                                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan, once you get all this sorted out , you need to write a book :D I'm sure we'll all be happy to proof read it for you ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X