Hazelponi Fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazelponi Fish?

I'm pretty convinced that can't be her real name...

RG11; Piece: 1965; Folio: 150; Page: 2 (1881 census)

any other ideas?

Her son Walter W Fish is with my Hern family in Ealing in 1901 as nephew so I'm trying to figure out the connection.
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Marriage from freeBMD
    Marriages Mar 1872
    Fish Osborn
    Hern Hazelel Poin
    Depwade 4b 355
    Elaine

Comment

1871 census : Hazelehponi Hern
      RG10; Piece: 1835; Folio: 18; Page: 13

1861 census:
      Piece: 1232; Folio: 32; Page: 29

1851 census
      HO107; Piece: 1821; Folio: 244; Page: 16;
      Elaine

Comment

oooooh - ta muchly
        Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

Hazelelponi is Jewish and it means "sorrow of countenance" (English translation: miseryface!)
          Hazelelponi name meaning | Biblical baby girl name
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Zoe

Hazelelponi is Jewish and it means "sorrow of countenance" (English translation: miseryface!)
            Hazelelponi name meaning | Biblical baby girl name
            rotflmao

well she has to be one of mine then

now, along with Asenath and Judah is it likely this is a Christian family using old testament names?

The Fish' are definitely CofE as my family meets there's somewhere else and they appear regularly in the Dickleburgh parish records

Judah Hern married a Bartram girl - again, definitely CofE
            Zoe in London

Comment

Elizabeth A Fish on same page comes from Coddenham :D

]

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                rotflmao

now, along with Asenath and Judah is it likely this is a Christian family using old testament names?
                Yes, it is - I'd never heard the name Hazelelponi before, but I've just checked in the Concordance, and the name appears in 1 Chronicles 4:3.

Comment

I'm not so sure that Hazelelponi is an Old Testament name! Any Bible scholars amongst us?

The surname Herne suggests it is of Jewish lineage to me. And Fish is a Jewish surname too.

It was quite commonplace for Jewish people to marry in a C of E church, as well as at Synagogue. It was expedient to have a C of E marriage under your belt if you were looking for employment, and a C of E baptism ensured you settlement rights pre 1835.

EDIT - just read Mary's post, so maybe you should ignore me, and I should go and cut the grass!

OC

Comment

I'm pretty sure one of the Fish/Fysh family was connected with the parish somehow - possibly a curate.

And they're buried at All Saints churchyard

I'll need to go through all my Norfolk printouts to be certain though
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

They may have converted to Christianity centuries before this, but Jewish racial memories are long and these old testament names may be a sort of sop to a religion they abandoned.

It is slightly unusual to find C of E people baptised with such blatantly old testament names, although much depends on the Vicar of course, and how tolerant he was. Some Vicars considered the use of old testament names as heathenish and wouldn't allow it.

Many of my noncons have old testament names too.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                        Fish/Fysh family

Trust OC to be on this thread!

Zoe, Old Testament names are used a lot by non-conformist denominations too

EDIT; I see OC already said that! lol

Comment

It is slightly unusual to find C of E people baptised with such blatantly old testament names
                          I think it depends on the area.

I have a family that frequently used the name Asenath, and Kerenhappuch was popular in some areas, for example.

Another family of mine in Derby had a succession of fathers and sons called Abraham and Isaac.

Comment

Yes, it does depend a lot on area. Some hard line High Anglican vicars would only allow Christian names - that is, names from the new testament, or the names of saints.

OC

Comment

well - I don't know too much about the Fish family but the Bartram bit of the family are very keen on the names Habakkuk, Erasmus, Rosamus and Samuel.

I have 19 of Samuel Bartrams so far - all descendants of Samuel born 1759 and his three sons. If anyones ever at a loose end they need a lot of sorting out.

I'm going to have to look into the Fish some more I think because non-conformism may explain the absence of Bartrams between 1726 and Samuel's baptism in 1759. And nothing at all earlier apart from a handful of "Buried in wools"
                              Zoe in London

Comment

*wonders whether to tell Zoe about all my Fishes*

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC

*wonders if OC has Loaves as well as Fishes*

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                                    don't worry - the minute I find a Fish Fish I'm handing my tree, lock stock and two smoking kippers, to you
                                    Last edited by samesizedfeet; 01-06-08, 21:26.
                                    Zoe in London

Comment

of course if I paid attention to my own thread I'd realise it's the Herns I have to look at first as it's them using the names
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

I do like the way you don't think Hazelelponi Fish can't be a real name. As if anyone could make it up!!!!
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X