Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witney, Oxon. How would I prove this??? lol

This bit is fact >>>>>>

Job Smith was born on 1st June 1796 at Witney, Oxfordshire.

This bit is what his youngest dau, born in 1855 in America, said >>>>>>

At the time of his birth there was a great flood and he and his mother were rescued by boat through an upper window of their home.

Would that be the river Windrush? I've been to Witney but didn't know about this at the time :(

unless it's moved in the past 300+ years, current streetmap shows the Windrush flowing through Witney.

Gale had 18th century newspapers if you still have access to it - not sure what the coverage was though i.e. if they were all national or some were regional.

Have you asked your contact where she got this info from?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I've looked at the Gale site, but didn't find anything.

My contact is no longer speaking to me! He told me that his grandmother, who was the niece of Job's youngest daughter, used to tell him about his English gg-grandfather, including this story passed down from Job's youngest daughter.

I was thinking, if it is known where the Windrush is/was liable to flooding, then I might even be able to work out whereabouts they lived!

Comment

Hmmm, nothing about the flood but Job Smith's wife Mary died Wednesday 26th May 1841

"leaving a numerous family to lament the loss of an affectionate mother"
        Zoe in London

Comment

Hey!! I'm supposed to find that, not you!!! lolol

*taps keyboard furiously*

Comment

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

The problem with searching for the word flood is that they're using the f/s thing and I'm getting a zillion hits for the word "stood" as it happens to be the same time as a general election
            Zoe in London

Comment

Oooh, got it now, thanks Zoe!!

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

The problem with searching for the word flood is that they're using the f/s thing and I'm getting a zillion hits for the word "stood" as it happens to be the same time as a general election

lolol!!

Comment

Would that be the river Windrush? I've been to Witney but didn't know about this at the time

What were you doing in Witney in 1796, Merry? Buying blankets?

*snigger*

OC

Comment

Merry - on the Gale site do a search for Windrush in the 17th/18th Burnley Collection

News
                    True Briton (1793) (London, England), Monday, September 18, 1797; Issue 1477.
                    Elaine

Comment

Well, there was a flood in Witney in July 2007, so I guess its quite likely it happened years earlier.

Photos: Gallery of Witney Flood Photographs - Page 1
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

and from Wikipedia:

"In July 2007 Witney saw its worst flooding in over 50 years. Homes and businesses were evacuated and Bridge Street, a major road into the town and the only road across the Windrush, was closed causing severe traffic problems.

An estimated 200 properties were flooded in the centre of Witney, with areas around Bridge Street, Mill Street and West End the worst affected. The new and incomplete housing development Aquarius also suffered substantial flooding.

David Cameron, Member of Parliament for Witney, visited the town to see the damage for himself."

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          What were you doing in Witney in 1796, Merry? Buying blankets?

*snigger*

OC

:(:(

Comment

I just keep imagining this poor woman with her new baby being shoved out of the window....... :o She had five other children to get out too! Imagine being in labour and being told to hurry because more than one lot of water is breaking!

Comment

Merry

this is a story his daughter told (so necessarily 2nd hand, and as her father wouldn't have remembered it he would have been repeating what he had been told, so 3rd hand ) and its presumably been passed on to you (so 4th+ hand).

"At the time of his birth" mightn't mean his actual birth, but maybe even a month or more later. Though I do agree it would have been quite an ordeal and no doubt why she heard about it in the first place.

There would probably be records about this in the relevant archives (if they weren't destroyed by flood!)

Comment

Yes, I agree Nell......He might have been a baby, or it might even have been one of his siblings (he had 11 siblings.....if I was his mother, their births would merge into one ordeal!) .......

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  An estimated 200 properties were flooded in the centre of Witney, with areas around Bridge Street, Mill Street and West End the worst affected. The new and incomplete housing development Aquarius also suffered substantial flooding.
                                  What an unfortunate name for a housing development on a flood plain.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Merry,

I know it flooded last year as LMP's Godparents live there. I am going there on 14th June to attend a party at the Marlborough Hotel and if you know where they lived and its not too far away I will take a picture for you if you would like one.
                                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                                      Merry,

I know it flooded last year as LMP's Godparents live there. I am going there on 14th June to attend a party at the Marlborough Hotel and if you know where they lived and its not too far away I will take a picture for you if you would like one.

But unfortunately I don't know where they lived exactly :o

Maybe you could take photos of all the properties built before 1796 and with a tide mark just below the upper story windows??!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        Merry - on the Gale site do a search for Windrush in the 17th/18th Burnley Collection

News
                                        True Briton (1793) (London, England), Monday, September 18, 1797; Issue 1477.

Sorry Elaine, I didn't notice your post before....Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                        X